big block swap mounts

blowmyv6

Hey I'm currently rebuilding a 429 out of a '69 Lincoln to swap into my 89. Basically the two options are to make them from scratch or use the ones out of a swap kit for a fox body and modify them a little. How easy, assuming I have a buddy that's pretty good with a TIG welder, would it be to modify the mounts. Would it just be cutting a little out of one and extending the other?

P.S. If anyone who has done the swap is willing to make me some, I would gladly pay the asking price. (hint hint)

Contact prostreet rich. I believe he builds the mounts for our cars to mount up the 460.

Shane

did someone ring my bell???

quick35th said:
Contact prostreet rich. I believe he builds the mounts for our cars to mount up the 460.

Shane
Drop me a p.m. with ALL your specs and lets see what we can do for you.....Rich

pro street rich said:
Drop me a p.m. with ALL your specs and lets see what we can do for you.....Rich

Rich, I'll be in touch shortly after I pick up a 460 of my liking so I can get a set of 460 engine mounts from you.

Shane

This is interesting.. You know i bet a fairly stock 429/460 with an edelbrock carb and overdrive tranny with stock gears would pull off better mileage than our 6's do! The 429/460 are very efficient engines. Budy of mine has a bone stock ranchero with a 429 gets 18/20mpg! I had a mild 460 in a 78 f250 4.10/auto with 36" tires pulled off 15mpg all the time.. Had a 72 f100 351w/4speed/3.55 and it barely got 10mpg.. The 460 however only got about 6mpg with a holley....Swapped it for a economy tuned 750 edelbrock.....Had more power and almost doubled the mileage do to edelbrocks small primary big secondary design... These engines are awesome! I used to live near a guy that had a 460 in a fox body with an 8-71 wieland blower dual 4bbls NOS tubbed.. Drove this thing on the street it looked like somthing out of a comic book!

Rich while we are talking about your 460 swap engine mounts I have one question. If I use the stock kmember at first and then later on down the road deside I want an AJE tubular kmember will the engine mounts still work with the different kemember?

Shane

this gets tricky....

quick35th said:
Rich while we are talking about your 460 swap engine mounts I have one question. If I use the stock kmember at first and then later on down the road deside I want an AJE tubular kmember will the engine mounts still work with the different kemember?

Shane
You can get them to drop the mount 2 inches, this lets you close the hood with even a "crab" manifold on.Will the same mounts work?? good ?? when I dropped mine I did have to make a new set of mounts....There were a lot of other things going on as well. I have a custom pan that holds 11 quarts of oil and it is a deep rear sump. You even have to do the trans bolts thru the starter hole...
I would do it all at once, or plan on getting two sets of mounts.....Rich

Well I was only planning on using either a fox swap oil pan or a Canton pan for the 460. I dont know how long it would take me to get a AJE kmember for it as I still have to build my 35th at the same time so it could be a while. Plus I wont really need to lower it any as the SC I am stuffing it into has a 4" cowl hood already.

Rich have you found a header for the 460 that will work in our cars? I was thinking today while at work about it and wanderd if 460 swap headers for a fox mustang would work since 351w fox mustang swap headers do.

Shane

headers, well sort of....

This will blow you and everyone away... Get a set of "Hooker" headers for the "Fox" swap. The right side needs a hammer on the edge of two tubes so they don't rub on the body. The drivers side is another story. You have to cut one tube and move it so the steering shaft has a spot to go. You will also have to get a "U" joint setup as the rag joint is too big to fit.
Now there is a trick to put them in...While the engine mounts are NOT in the car you put the drivers header in. It comes in three parts and you must put them in one at a time. Now vafter you have the drivers side in you move the engine back to where it goes, but you still don't have the mounts in. Now you put the right header together, it too is in three parts, and put the whole header up as one peice.
Now that they are bolted down you can put the engine mounts in the car and go from there. Even the starter fits like it was made for this job.
This is a simple and eazy install BUT you must get a new "K" member to run headers, so you will be doing a LOT of cutting and chopping to get them in..........Hope this helps you out........Rich

Are there shortys for the 460 engine? I plan to reroute the steering shaft like what 392 bird has done to his car so hopefully it will clear the headers. I dont have the tools to cut the headers or weld them back together so if I can get around it I would like to.

Shane

you can use stockers

quick35th said:
Are there shortys for the 460 engine? I plan to reroute the steering shaft like what 392 bird has done to his car so hopefully it will clear the headers. I dont have the tools to cut the headers or weld them back together so if I can get around it I would like to.

Shane
The cast iron ones work without any mods.... The way I did it is a lot cleaner than the way you want to do it. No offence ment to anyone's design. This is a very simple way to do it and it works great. Steering & brakes are the two most important things on a car, so why play with them if you can move a exhaust tube instead...........safty is always more important, then paying someone to move a header tube over two inches. Best part is you do it with the part that you cut out.Just turn it 180 and put it back in place.........Rich

-Rich-

I'm not sure if you got my PM's or not. Do you think you'll be able to build me a set?

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. My motor is a 460, not a 429. I keep calling it that because that's what it was sold to me as, but the 460 stamped onto the block says otherwise LOL

460 shorty headers

I have seen shorties for a 460 on some webb site-------somewhere around this junkpile of a desk, I have a picture. I can make a good effort if you are interested. Not sure if Rich meant no, they dont make shorties, or he meant that they arent worth the expense and/or trouble! No doubt he is the one to ask. Rots of Ruck!!
YB

Rich how long does it take to make an engine mount set for the 460 and how much does it cost? You better start making me a set soon because now I have a 460 and a SC to put it in. Please pm me with details.

Shane

yardbird said:
I have seen shorties for a 460 on some webb site-------somewhere around this junkpile of a desk, I have a picture. I can make a good effort if you are interested. Not sure if Rich meant no, they dont make shorties, or he meant that they arent worth the expense and/or trouble! No doubt he is the one to ask. Rots of Ruck!!
YB

Yeah if you could dig out that web site I would be much appreciated of you. Though I did my own research and turned to my friends over on the corral and they found a shop that builds them for me. I have not got the chance to talk to them about it so I dont have prices or anything yet.

Shane

Fox Mustangs

Also no applications for MN12's----Knew that as well! Several headers looked very interesting and might have possibilities for other applications. As I said, "Hope it is useful".
YB

Actually reason why I stated that there were no shorty headers for the fox mustang with a 460 is because those headers WILL work in an MN12 car with little to no modification.

Shane

Back