94-95 Drive shaft q's

DirtySouthBird

Welll a few months ago, I broke the drive shaft in half, well im getting ready to put it back together now, well I was planning to get a aluminum shaft made, dont cant do it now, so I was wondering if I could use a reg. drive shaft from any 94-95 3.8? I know the rear end is a 7.5 but what if I change the yoke, or what other drive shaft can I use for the mean while so I can get it out and running?
thanks,
fred

DirtySouthBird said:
Welll a few months ago, I broke the drive shaft in half, well im getting ready to put it back together now, well I was planning to get a aluminum shaft made, dont cant do it now, so I was wondering if I could use a reg. drive shaft from any 94-95 3.8? I know the rear end is a 7.5 but what if I change the yoke, or what other drive shaft can I use for the mean while so I can get it out and running?
thanks,
fred

If you're running an auto, then yeah you could temporarily use a 3.8 N/A driveshaft. As long as you're not really hard on it, it should last long enough to get a new one made. Keep in mind that the N/A's are limited to 105-110 mph.

You should also be able to use the AOD driveshafts from an 89-93 SC... I'm pretty sure they're the same length. If you're running a 5-speed, then the driveshafts are definately the same between early and late model SCs

You need one 57" long (center of UJ to UJ). It's a shame you need one so quickly, because I just had an alum. one made and I'm getting ready to swap it over. I wanted the alum. so I could safely remove the speed limiter.

You can also use the Aluminum driveshaft shaft from a 93 or early 94 Mark 8. They are one piece. Anything after that is two pieces and you dont want to use them.
- Dan

I just took the stock drive shaft out of my 94 SC. Dosen't look like anything is wrong with it. If you want to pay for shipping from VA you can have it.

Ddubb said:
You can also use the Aluminum driveshaft shaft from a 93 or early 94 Mark 8. They are one piece. Anything after that is two pieces and you dont want to use them.
- Dan

No you can't. The drive shaft is longer than the SC driveshaft. Jordan Sypek bought my Mark8 drive shaft after I found out the difference the hard way... having the car torn apart.

Pablo94SC said:
No you can't. The drive shaft is longer than the SC driveshaft. Jordan Sypek bought my Mark8 drive shaft after I found out the difference the hard way... having the car torn apart.

Are you sure, is your SC an Auto, or Manual ? Last I checked, my 94 SC looked like it has the same 4r70w transmission and mounts as my 95 V8 Tbird and 95 Mark 8. The 3.8 with AOD is the same length also.
- Dan

Ddubb said:
Are you sure, is your SC an Auto, or Manual ? Last I checked, my 94 SC looked like it has the same 4r70w transmission and mounts as my 95 V8 Tbird and 95 Mark 8. The 3.8 with AOD is the same length also.
- Dan

Positive. 94 SC w/4R70W and it does not fit. You will have to cut the MarkVIII driveshaft to fit our cars, otherwise I'd be pimping an aluminum driveshaft.

Side Note: Whoever said they need an aluminum driveshaft for top end is wrong (in general). Sure, it'll help, but if you have good u-joints and the tranny and rear diff mounts aren't worn out, you'll be ok. I've never had vibrations out of mine and I've been over 150mph numerous times.

I see, my SC must be the same .. its just been sitting in the backyard in need of an engine rebuild so I havent touched it.
I think Jerry's Transmission 101 article has information about using the aluminum driveshaft, for higher gear ratios (3.73's ) in regards to the vibration issues.
If cutting and rebalancing the driveshaft is more cost effective than having a new one made, Ive found some police crown vic's at the local pick and pull junkyard with the one piece aluminum shaft, they also have a longer yoke and tailshaft end on the trans casing that could be swapped over - I was thinking that may provide a little more stability as well.
- Dan

Last edited:
Pablo,
Do you have the stock rear end gears in your car? I have 3.73's in my 94 SC and when I would get up to about 80 mph on the highway the drive train would start to vibrate and after 90 you just had to slow down or you thought the car was going to shake to pieces. After I put in the metal matrix drive shaft all the shaking stopped. With my old 3.27 gears in the car 80 to 100 mph was not a problem with the stock drive shaft, then again it was not spinning as fast then.
Ddubb,
My friend put a Mark 8 one piece driveshaft in his 95 SC after he had it shortned. He ended up twisting it off behind the weld not long after it was on the car.

Last edited:
Pablo - if you are running over 150mph you must have a 5 speed, right ? - otherwise how did you defeat the speed/rev limiters (127mph). The issue with changing out to an alum. shaft is not just a weight issue, but because of weaknesses in the rear bearing/casing of the 4RW70 auto trans.

JasonMiller94SC said:
Ddubb,
My friend put a Mark 8 one piece driveshaft in his 95 SC after he had it shortned. He ended up twisting it off behind the weld not long after it was on the car.
I can see that happening, especially with the amount of torque the SC makes over the V8 Tbirds. :cool:
- Dan

Back