MAC 3.8 Mustang Long tubes..... anyone ever try these?

mn12sc35th

I was looking at their page and noticed long tube headers... I know the short tube version can fit our cars with a little modification of the collector. But in that same general area, the long tubes only have the #5 and #6 tubes. Just looking at the shots on their page it seems like they might fit (or be made to fit with little hassle) and they're under 300$ :cool:

Just curious if anyone has ever tried them. I may have to pick up a set and see if I can get em to fit in the near future.

I believe the passenger side will bolt right on but the driver side will rub the steering shaft. You can either mod the header or mod the steering shaft. I could be wrong but I believe thats all you should have to do. If you have an automatic SC than you also may have a problem with clearance between the header collectors and your trans pan. Good luck!

Shane

Last edited:
Its not an easy job, but I def. had fun doing it. As long as you have all the proper equipment, pipe benders, torches, tig welder, ect....it should go well. There was a lot of trial fitting, and both sides need to be modified. IMO, you'll spend at least $250 for a set, then you'll have to cut, weld, fit, ect, buy materials. And for $550 or whatever you could have a set of kooks. I got lucky and got the headers brand new for free basically. I think my total cost was around $150.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55921&highlight=mac+longtube

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56414&highlight=longtube+headers

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59335

Last edited:
I guess I must have been thinking of the shorties for the 3.8L mustang and not the long tubes. Sorry!

Shane

quick35th said:
I guess I must have been thinking of the shorties for the 3.8L mustang and not the long tubes. Sorry!

Shane

Yeah, I have that shorty set, the 94-95 factory stang set to be exact. Tbid 88 will do this mod for you...

I believe the MAC shorties can beused, but I'm not sure what mods are necessary for that.

Usually you can get a set of the factory 94-95 stang ones for $50, then either mod them yourself, or tbird88 does it for liek $85 shipped back to you...

Not too expensive...

Here is the picture of the shorty set vs our stock manifolds...
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63641

Here is the mod from tbird88....

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66917&highlight=mustang

To what extent did you have to mod the pass side header? It's looking like this would be feasible. I got a friend of a friend that's going to do some aluminum welding for me anyway, so I think I'm going to have to have him try that. It sounds like I can get away under 300$ while the kook's headers run 625$. I don't mind a little extra work to shave off 300$

And those things look pretty damn nice after you got done with em. :cool:

Just a word of caution, its not a simple little mod. The entire drivers side header needs to be rebuilt. All the primaries need to be new and re-routed. The pass side primaries hit the bell housing, and the starter fairly well. Also, if this is something you plan on tackling, it can be done, but expect to spend at least 20+ hours doing it, bolting it in and out of the car at least a hundred times and making parts to fit. Also, once you cut all the primaries you'll need some sort of jig to keep the collectors and flanges in the correct positions. Bottom line, its not as easy as it may seem, so make sure you are 110% commited otherwise you'll be in a world of hurt.

I have no doubt that the guy I'm going to ask about it can do it. Was just curious as to how far this had to be done :) Thanks.

fastsc92 said:
I'm not doubting anyone's abilities, I'm just saying its a very involved project.

I didn't think you were. Just saying I'm sure we have the means to do this. I appreciate your details though. :)

Leave it to Jay to tell it how it is. From what I have seen of his work I would listen to him IF I were you. He has made several items that are very time consuming that consist of the FULL exhaust that you see in this thread and the FMIC and pipes that he did on his own. The guy is talented and is trying to save you some trouble...

Chris

All I said is it looks doable :p Never tried to say it looked easy.

I know the guy I'm going to talk to can handle it, that's what he does. My friend had him build a header and downtube for a turbo, I'm sure this is going to be doable.

One more thing before you go and do this. Contact Wynn at tbird88 and check with him. He made a few sets and I believe they were stainless and under $500. I could be wrong on both but I have NEVER heard a complaint from someone who has made a purchase from him...that includes me.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
One more thing before you go and do this. Contact Wynn at tbird88 and check with him. He made a few sets and I believe they were stainless and under $500. I could be wrong on both but I have NEVER heard a complaint from someone who has made a purchase from him...that includes me.

Chris

I've always heard good things about Wynn too, I'll have to check that out. It may be a little time before I get that far though, as I'm about to move back to TN (where the car has been sitting) and I got other things to get done first :)

Back