Spearco Liquid/Air intecooler set up pics/data

supercatxr7

Well it is finally finished. I am using a Spearco liquid/air intercooler, 3" aluminum tubing, Cobra intercooler pump, Fluidyne Cobra Heat Exchanger, Canton Cobra intercooler coolant tank. Hardcore Motorsports in Mt. Morris, MI welded up the tubes and mounted everything for me. I just need to get the tubes polished.

Also have my Snow Methonal Injection kit from Dave Dalke installed. Without the methanol I am seeing ACT temps of about 128 degrees at the end of the quarter mile on a 84 degree day. With Snow methanol I am seeing ACT temps of around 95 degrees at the end of the quarter mile on a 84 degree day. Tonight I took it out and logged some ACT temps on the street under wot with Snow kit at around 75-80 degrees ACT. The Snow kit is a great addition to any set up.

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

Last edited:
I know I know.I looked into that same core a few years back.....Your data should be the number one reason not to use a front mount and go Liquid to air..Besides AC and running hot problems.

And that isnt even with a huge resevoir or ice water....NICE!

That in combination with the methanol kit seems to be working better then great. What was teh cost in total for you?

Damon

Around $950 for the intercooler, $300 for the heat exchanger, $100 for the pump, $100 or so in tubing. Then labor because I can't weld aluminum.

Mark,

That's a very nice setup. BTW, where are you injecting the water/methonal...lower IC tube ? Which nozell are you using ?

David

supercatxr7 said:
Lower tube right after the intercooler outlet. I'm using the bigger nozzle.
Maybe I should be using the bigger nozzle :mad:

Anyway, that setup looks awesome. Might be the route I go if I ever decide to upgrade from my Spearco IC.

It looks great Kurt. I am so jealous! Sounds like you're getting great results. What were the hp and torque readings vs. ACT temp on each dyno pull?

Mike Puckett said:
It looks great Kurt. I am so jealous! Sounds like you're getting great results. What were the hp and torque readings vs. ACT temp on each dyno pull?
Mike, are you asking Mark about his Liquid/Air or me about my alky injection?

I've included some details in my thread in the non-tech forum detailing my installation if you are asking me. I'd rather answer more questions about my info over there.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I know I know.I looked into that same core a few years back.....Your data should be the number one reason not to use a front mount and go Liquid to air..Besides AC and running hot problems.

And that isnt even with a huge resevoir or ice water....NICE!

That in combination with the methanol kit seems to be working better then great. What was teh cost in total for you?

Damon
I know I might add some fuel to the fire here, but the front mount that I made....i only see an increase of 15-20 degrees above outside temps in 4th gear at about 120....on any given day. For example...i data logged a few runs and It was about 73 outside and the max temp was only 89. I also did it when it was about 85 out and only saw temps of 97.

fastsc92 said:
I know I might add some fuel to the fire here, but the front mount that I made....i only see an increase of 15-20 degrees above outside temps in 4th gear at about 120....on any given day. For example...i data logged a few runs and It was about 73 outside and the max temp was only 89. I also did it when it was about 85 out and only saw temps of 97.
Some of the answers to these questions lie in the subtleties.

For starters, a FMIC will start to see temps drop once speed exceeds 80mph, and particularly so if the IC is in front of the AC condenser.

And secondly, the activities prior to the data run largely affect the results. If the car has sat in traffic, or if it has been left shut off while waiting to make a run, etc.

And most importantly, rpm and boost levels are critical in assessing IC performance. ACT's do not climb dramatically until airflow velocity through the cores reaches a certain speed which will vary based on how much air your engine and your blower is actually moving as well as the size and efficiency of your core. I've seen pulls made where the temp didn't seem to rise at all during the run, but then when the car was running around in traffic or pulling up some healthy hills the story changed dramatically.

I'm sure that some FMIC's are much more efficient than others, but how much boost you make is also directly related to how much heat you are generating that needs to be dissipated.

how much did the intercooler coolant temp rise?

I was wondering if you logged how close to ambient your intercooler water temps stayed. I am seriosly thinking of going a route simular to yours but I am concerned the water temp will continue to rise in stop and go traffic and eventualy cause the intercooler to become inefficient.

more data...

Not sure, never measured the temps of the water, but you could put your finger in the water and it would be luke warm.

Just some more data as well with the cooler weather in the evening, ACT temps on back to back to back wot runs on the highway yielded at the most 65 degree ACT temps. Now that is cool!

Sorry, no. I would like to of course, but the distance is a big factor for me without a way to tow the car. I have thought about flying in for the dragstrip day though, so maybe I may be there without the car. :(

I am working on a simular project. Can you tell me part #s or where you got the diffrent parts from. I do not need the IC its self, just the pump, heat exchanger and coolant tank. Thanks

Ken

parts...

Pump is an intercooler pump from f150 lightning or 03-04 mustang cobra. You will need the bracket too to mount it to the car. Heat exchanger is from Fluidyne, it is a bolt in piece for a 03-04 mustang cobra. Container is from Canton, it is for a 03-04 cobra as well.

Back