outside ring of stock harmonic balancer...

7birdslater

OK, I got my crank pulley off to do my crank sensor, and my harmonic balancer cover was broken loose and chewed up. Probably what took out my sensor... I did find that the bottom of the car looks to have been "off road" and there are some rocks up in places there shouldnt be. However, my harmonic balancer bolt is secure and snug, and the balancer itself doesnt wobble, but the steel outside ring, the one with the holes and two pegs in it, turns easily and has a bit of play front to back. I assume this isnt good huh? Thanks for any insight.

Sounds to me like your balancer is shot. The outer steel ring is bonded to the inner alum hub with a rubber compound; so even if the hub & bolts are secure the outer ring will eventually depart company. That's what probably killed your sensor. The only real solution is the BHJ replacement balancer and an alum. neutral balanced crank pulley (unless you have a local machine shop that can re-balance the original steel pulley set). Spinning Wheels on E-bay has the best prices for the BHJ.

Yeah, I bet thats why the car would only start every now and then, that outer part would catch and start spinning, allowing the sensor to get a reading. It did have a harmonic vibration last time I ran it. Now, to convince my wife that sinking more money than I paid for the whole car, into a harmonic balancer, is a wise investment. Thanks.

Back