Arghhhhh!!!!!

fordfan_27

Ok, a few weeks ago my harmonic balancer broke and wiped out the cps. I replaced it with a used balance and cps from a member here. Then the car wouldnt start. After a bunch of headache we discovered that the DIS module had been damaged somehow. I got one of those from someone here and put it on. Now the car runs but leaks oil like a seive from around the balancer area. Would this be the timing cover seal or is there another one. Also, how much of a PITA is it to change. Im sure someone has experienced this problem in as much as the factory balancers are pieces of crap and seem to go out a lot. Please help. Thanks!

Sounds like when the balancer broke, it made the crank wobble enough to mess up the front seal, which goes between the oil pan and block. Fixing it at a shop wouldn't be cheap as I believe they'd have to do quite a bit of work in repairing it. Could your mechanic friend fix it for you? A shop may want to pull the engine to fix it, but the pan can be lowered by removing the K-member and supporting the engine with jack stands.

Sweet90SC said:
Mine did that and it was the front seal...poured oil out... :mad:

Did you fix it yourself or have it fixed? If you did it yourself how labor intensive was it and do you have any pointers? If you had it done, what did it cost so I can know what to expect? Any help would be great.

fordfan_27 said:
I got one of those from someone here and put it on.

I am the someone.... out of the kindness in me.. I had sent this DIS to you not even asking for shipping up front...

Hope some time soon we can get this Item settled up?..

Karl

i recently got my balancer replaced at a local shop for $350 including a new CPS :\, of course my balancer i brought in though

NOTE guys! Did you use sealer on the keyway before you put the balancer on? They call for this in the book! My balancer never failed, but my crank pulley bolts broke and there was this weird knocking noise. It sounded like a bottom end knock. My mechanic told me to pull all the belts off and run the motor momentarily to see if the knock goes away. I never made it that far. When I was pulling the belts off i noticed the crank pulley was a little loose. Then I reached in to check the bolts and the bolt heads (all 4) came of with my fingers. I removed the balancer, drilled into the bolts and used a snap-on extractor set to get them out. That was tricky......hard steel bolts in an aluminum damper. Nevertheless, I got them out. I then went to a bearing supply store and used grade 8 machine allen head cap screws, lock washers and a little bit of red-loctite to re-attach the pulley to the damper. When I was re-installing the damper, thats when I read up in the book that you have to use a little sealer on the keyway before you put the big bolt back in.

When my crank pulley let loose, it did dink up the balancer a bit.....it was slightly bent. Later on I replaced it all with a good used one.

That was 5 years ago and no trouble since. I check all 5 bolts every oil change to make sure they are still there! Good maintenance tip since these cars were balancer breakers!

I have a parts car that had a balancer failure sometime in the past and it actually put a huge crack in the front timing cover. The guy who fixed this car JB welded it back up. If that happened to your car it would explain your oil leak. Good luck with it.

Sean

Back