Weird Tranny problem (I think)

JimmyDean

So today I was driving my car, and accelerating away from a stop light in 1st. As soon as I hit like 4800 rpms, the car lurched really hard and I could hear the tires squeal. I immediately put my foot on the clutch and shifted to 2nd. It seemed to drive fine, so I go up the road a ways and try it again in 1st. As soon as it hits right around 4800, same thing. It feels almost exactly like as if I was in third and was going to shift to 4th, but accidentally hit 2nd. I was like what the hell, and drove it normally to my destination. It drives fine otherwise, but now I notice a strange problem with the tach. If I give it some gas to get the rpms to like 5200, then let up, the tach goes all the way to zero for a split second then shoots back up to about 4600 as it comes back down. This seems like some kind of vacuum problem, but Im not sure.

Maybe you have a cam sensor going bad. If so that would likely only fix your tach problem.

Shane

So far what I can tell is this: I can only get it do it in 1st gear. It only happens at more then maybe 90% throttle. If you take throttle slow you can go all the way up to redline no problems. It happens between 3700-4800 rpms. There is a loud clunk from what sounds like transmission, the shifter jerks really hard in my hand (forward I think), the tires lock pretty decently, and the tach goes crazy (usually it shoots to the full range of its motion, back to 0, then to like 3000ish as its coming back down).

Turns out it wasnt the transmission. It started getting really bad, and doing it just accelerating lightly. I popped the hood and had some people watch as I revved it a little... Now it was starting to backfire. It did it when it wasnt in gear, so I knew it wasnt the tranny. When I revved, everyone was like woah man back off, you got some major arcing. There is a piece of metal that looks like it connected to something, and it was arcing off of one of the spark plug wires in the DIS. It was a huge ~~~ arc. I taped off that metal piece, and all is well now. What is this piece for? Ill take pics later

Back