Front seal ?

fordfan_27

Can anyone please give me the procedure for changing the front oil seal. Specifiacally what I need to know is do you have to take the timing cover off to replace the seal or can it be done be removing the balancer. Also, someone said something about lowering the oil pan. How far does it need to be moved in order to have clearance to change the seal. I have to get this seal fixed in order for the car to be driveable again. I have access to an engine hoist to support the engine in the event that the k-frame needs to be lowered. I thought I'd tackle this over the 3 day weekend but I dont wanna get in over my head. Please let me know if you have done this repair and if there is anything in particular I need to loo for or be cautious of.

not too bad, but...

The process isn't that bad, and the timing cover doesn't need to come off. It helps if you get the radiator out of there.

The harmonic balancer does have to come off and this is the problem. The stock HB isn't re-usable; the portion that is pressed onto the crank will deform/weaken when pulled off and pressed back on (you'll need to rent a tool for this).
You need to plan on replacing the HB if it is a stock unit. BHJ sells a replacement (about 350) that can be re-used.

Do some searching on harmonic balancer and make sure you understand what you are getting into before you tear it apart.

Mine lasted about 1 week when I tried to re-use it. The HB sheered off at the crank while I was on the highway; and I was lucky it did not damage any parts other than the crank sensor.

good luck
Bob

Back