new guy here need help

ivan

my harmonic balance cut of from the neck i pulled it off and now i'm stuck on trying to pull the rest of it back . and my crankshaft bolt head cut out too. i need help on trying to take it out. :confused: dont know if i should drill the center and use an easy out or weld a bolt head or what please need help.... o yea and how do i pull the rest of the HB out .. i have picture if you guys want to see.

No pic needed

This is not an uncommon situation and solutions have been discussed here in the past. The bolt isn't bottomed out in the crankshaft so drilling and using an easy-out will take it out. Sometimes just using a reverse rotation drill bit is enough to turn it out. Now the piece of balancer left on the shaft is a bit more of a problem. You will need to CAREFULLY drill two small holes 180 degrees apart in the piece and install the appropriate size sheet metal screw. Make sure the holes are well centered so you don't get into the crank with the drill bit. Then use a small puller to remove the piece. If it's stuck on there hard enough that this doesn't work, then you'll have to remove the timing cover. John

thanks for the help..

AnnivSpeCpe said:
This is not an uncommon situation and solutions have been discussed here in the past. The bolt isn't bottomed out in the crankshaft so drilling and using an easy-out will take it out. Sometimes just using a reverse rotation drill bit is enough to turn it out. Now the piece of balancer left on the shaft is a bit more of a problem. You will need to CAREFULLY drill two small holes 180 degrees apart in the piece and install the appropriate size sheet metal screw. Make sure the holes are well centered so you don't get into the crank with the drill bit. Then use a small puller to remove the piece. If it's stuck on there hard enough that this doesn't work, then you'll have to remove the timing cover. John

well today being my day of. i had time to work on my car and i did what you told me. drill the center of it and used an easy-out and sure enough it came right out but my problem just got bigger i guess the previous owner of this car didnt really know much about cars and when i took of the rest of the cranshaft bolt it was only holding on to like 3 threads if that and it looks like someone tried to fix it and they kind of just re tapped like 3 of the threads so now i have to see if the original bolt size actually fits on it or if they re-tapped it a bigger size ...... what size is the bolt ????? if any one knows it whould be a big help thank-x. and how much does it need to go into the crank shaft ................

Sounds like someone tried to install a wrong bolt. I don't know the mm thread size but a stock bolt is about 1 3/4" long if I recall. Just go to Ford and buy a harmonic balancer bolt for a 3.8 Mustang. If only about the last 3 threads are messed up a stock bolt will have plenty of threads to work just fine. Resist the temptation to use any locktite on the threads. Did you get the broken piece of HB off the snout? John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
Sounds like someone tried to install a wrong bolt. I don't know the mm thread size but a stock bolt is about 1 3/4" long if I recall. Just go to Ford and buy a harmonic balancer bolt for a 3.8 Mustang. If only about the last 3 threads are messed up a stock bolt will have plenty of threads to work just fine. Resist the temptation to use any locktite on the threads. Did you get the broken piece of HB off the snout? John

well i was working on that, but that's a little bit more of a pain that i thought it would be but i'll be doing that tomorrow it's just such a pain lol but slowly it getting there will the bolt from the dealer work if i get a HBL balance

ivan said:
well i was working on that, but that's a little bit more of a pain that i thought it would be but i'll be doing that tomorrow it's just such a pain lol but slowly it getting there will the bolt from the dealer work if i get a HBL balance

Are you referring to a BHJ balancer? I think (but not sure) it comes with a bolt and washer. The stock bolt for SC is not available anymore new, so just get a Mustang 3.8 bolt. Yes, this bolt will work on either balancer BHJ or stock. John

Back