Ignition issue

Berserk

I thought I'd seen this before, but my searches turned up nothing useful, so here we go. Every so often, when I start the car, the ignition ends up in a halfway point where a number of the "key on" functions are not energized. Like the brakes. It also happens that the Fluid Level display above the radio doesn't work then either.

Is this a harbinger of the ignition switch failing? Is it easy to replace, or am I looking at serious cash? Is it easier to tie into the stock wiring and to put two switches into the circuit to take the place of the original ignition? Just curious.

Berserk

Sounds like the switch to me...

But, it could also be the key lock tumbler. Ford has a bad design for the key tumbler. The outside part has little tabs that connect to the internal mechanical part and they break off after a few years of use. This makes it difficult to get the key properly lined up with the electrical switch positions. I have had this problem with my SC and my SHO. Replacement key tumblers are available for a few bucks at most parts houses, but you end up with a key for the ignition, one for the door locks, and one for the trunk. If that is too many keys to deal with, you can have a new tumbler re-keyed to match your original ignition, but that is a much more expensive solution...

When i had this problem, after disconnecting the battery, i actually separated the bottom part of the ignition switch (there is a little ball and tensioner springs inside, so take notice of where they came from), and cleaned all the contact surfaces. i then placed it all back together, and did a "ghetto fix"- find some insulating rubber, and use a medium sized metal hose clamp (home depot 3" plumbing type) to clamp the bottom of the switch tightly to the top part. the clamp goes all the way around the steering column. do this and you will never have that ignition switch problem again. i've done this to all my previous SC's and they worked like a charm. if you just replace the switch with a new one from ford, it's going to happen again- the switch is a very bad design.

Back