Another Ignition Issue

AMD[H]unter

Hello, guys and gals. As you see, I am new here (at these forums, at least), and I am having problems with my '91 SC. I was driving along after a big rainstorm, and I hit few puddles (unintintionally sp?), and go splashed a few times. Well, I was doing fine, the car was fine after this, and later on in the drive (3 minutes?) the car just suddenly quits as I pull into the buisiness I was headed to. Well, I thought, maybe it's just a freak thing, and she quit, and maybe she'll crank right back up. Not happening. I turned the kay, and the engine turns over just fine, but I am getting no fire at all. Does anyone know what I can do? I checked the distributor, and there is no fire. The fuel pump comes on, and I checked the fuel pump cutoff switch, and it is in the normal position. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Thanks in advance.

AMD[H]unter said:
Hello, guys and gals. As you see, I am new here (at these forums, at least), and I am having problems with my '91 SC. I was driving along after a big rainstorm, and I hit few puddles (unintintionally sp?), and go splashed a few times. Well, I was doing fine, the car was fine after this, and later on in the drive (3 minutes?) the car just suddenly quits as I pull into the buisiness I was headed to. Well, I thought, maybe it's just a freak thing, and she quit, and maybe she'll crank right back up. Not happening. I turned the kay, and the engine turns over just fine, but I am getting no fire at all. Does anyone know what I can do? I checked the distributor, and there is no fire. The fuel pump comes on, and I checked the fuel pump cutoff switch, and it is in the normal position. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Thanks in advance.

In cases like this, I would do the following:
  • Check the fuse box in the engine compartment to insure no fuses are blown.
  • Check your DIS and Coil to insure they are plugged in and grounded.
  • Check all plug wires to insure they are connected properly.
  • If possible check to insure you have spark with a spark tester.
  • Do a KOEO test. Pull all codes and resolve.
  • Do a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail (and pump if necessary) to insure that you're getting the right gas pressure.

Hey, Rick! I got her fixed and she is running great. It turned out to be a crank sensor that was the problem. Thanks for your help!

Back