impact wrench on Harmonic balancer bolt?

7birdslater

Before I screw something up or break something taking this old one off. Can I use an impact to remove the bolt from the Harmonic balancer? Or should I use a breaker bar and lock the engine. Thanks.

You don't need an impact wrench. Where the transmission bolts up to the engine block, there is a rubber cover that lets you access the torque converter. Turn the engine by the main HB bolt until you can get to one of the converter nuts. Slip a socket or wrench over the nut and turn the engine until it wedges against the side. You can then remove/install the main HB bolt with a breaker bar and torque it properly. :cool:

Thanks, I know about that trick, I just have an impact gun laying on top of the engine right now, and want to know if it will hurt anything to use it to remove the old balancer. I would never install one that way.

7birdslater said:
Before I screw something up or break something taking this old one off. Can I use an impact to remove the bolt from the Harmonic balancer? Or should I use a breaker bar and lock the engine. Thanks.

That's what I did when changing the cam a couple weeks ago.

David

Back