Ignition Control Module

Bird of Prey 94

I have a 94 Tbird SC, if I am not getting spark at the coil does it mean my Ignition Control Module (ICM) is faulty? At the coil I have a condensor that looks kind of old, can that be creating my problem? What others areas should I be looking at before ruling that device out?

Bird of Prey 94 said:
I have a 94 Tbird SC, if I am not getting spark at the coil does it mean my Ignition Control Module (ICM) is faulty? At the coil I have a condensor that looks kind of old, can that be creating my problem? What others areas should I be looking at before ruling that device out?

Most NAPA or Autozone stores can test that module for you if you take it off the car; then you would at least know if you have to look further.

The 'condenser' at the coil is just for radio interference i'm 99.9% sure.... if that's wrong somebody correct me....

Bird of Prey 94 said:
It could be the coil itself but without spare parts or a code reader it's hard to tell. Do you have the ability to do a KOEO test?

If you have the handy old Haynes manual it'll guide you thru testing out the coil pack. That's how I diagnosed my bad DIS, by process of ellimination. First the plugs & wires and then the coil.

kevenj90sc said:
Most NAPA or Autozone stores can test that module for you if you take it off the car; then you would at least know if you have to look further.

The 'condenser' at the coil is just for radio interference i'm 99.9% sure.... if that's wrong somebody correct me....

Thanks for the information but the Autozone stores in New York do not test this particular part.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Joisey Jim said:
If you have the handy old Haynes manual it'll guide you thru testing out the coil pack. That's how I diagnosed my bad DIS, by process of ellimination. First the plugs & wires and then the coil.

Thanks but I believe the problem is a little deeper than that. I think I may need to check the coil pack, followed by the ICM, then the crank sensor (not necessarily in that order). I have a multi meter but I am still trying to figure out the process to check these 3 devices to see where the problem truly lies.

Bird of Prey 94 said:
Thanks but I believe the problem is a little deeper than that. I think I may need to check the coil pack, followed by the ICM, then the crank sensor (not necessarily in that order). I have a multi meter but I am still trying to figure out the process to check these 3 devices to see where the problem truly lies.
You can check the coil with a multi meter. The ICM and crank Sensor can be check with the KOEO test.

The 94 SC uses the Ford EDIS ignition system. Very similar but slightly different from the 89-93 cars.

Ignition is not allowed by the EDIS if it does not get a crank sensor signal. If your car is an automatic, the EDIS will report it's lack of a crank sensor signal by flashing the upshift light while you are cranking the motor.

If that light flashes during cranking of the motor, then the problem with the no spark is specifically related to:
1) A failed crank sensor
or
2) A fault in the wiring for the crank sensor
or
3) A problem with the harmoic balancer.

So start with checking that sensor and specifically the condition of the balancer.

Mike8675309 said:
The 94 SC uses the Ford EDIS ignition system. Very similar but slightly different from the 89-93 cars.

Ignition is not allowed by the EDIS if it does not get a crank sensor signal. If your car is an automatic, the EDIS will report it's lack of a crank sensor signal by flashing the upshift light while you are cranking the motor.

If that light flashes during cranking of the motor, then the problem with the no spark is specifically related to:
1) A failed crank sensor
or
2) A fault in the wiring for the crank sensor
or
3) A problem with the harmoic balancer.

So start with checking that sensor and specifically the condition of the balancer.

Thanks for the information. I am going to try this procedure to see if I can isolate the problem.

Back