Mustang ignition cylinder fits.

7birdslater

Just incase anybody wants to make their ignition look neat and have a cool plastic coated key, I just bought a cylinder that was supposed to fit a later model mustang with the chrome surround and key, its factory new and still had the key tag attached that says 1996 on it. It fit right in and works great. I was curious, what is the electrical connection on it for? My connector that goes to it is broken.

If Im not mistaken, the electrical connector is for the door chime to let you know when they arent closed good. You may not have it on your car depending on the year.

Thanks, That makes sense now that I think about it. The car has the connector for it, but one of the tabs that holds it on is broken. I might have to live without it. Thanks for the reply!

They make the chrome cylinder and plastic coated key for our cars as well. I got one for my cougar.

Yeah, they do, but the chrome part on this one is quite a bit beefier than the one for Tbirds and Cougars. Its more blocky and less rounded also. Now I just have to get with somebody parting out a car, and get some door lock cylinders with keys and a trunk cylinder with a key. Car came with just a broken key in the ignition.

7birdslater said:
Yeah, they do, but the chrome part on this one is quite a bit beefier than the one for Tbirds and Cougars. Its more blocky and less rounded also. Now I just have to get with somebody parting out a car, and get some door lock cylinders with keys and a trunk cylinder with a key. Car came with just a broken key in the ignition.

Autozone sells lock kits with keys. I think I paid about $30 for the doors and trunk on my 89.

Fordfan, do you have a Part number or something from autozone? The guy behind the counter said they dont have any door locks, just trunk and ignition.
heres the mustang cylinder, I finally got a pic. Thanks.

Attachments

• SC2006web_008.sized.jpg
    SC2006web_008.sized.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 95
Looks cool, glad it worked out for you.

Weird thing is .. we tried to install a 96/97 Thunderbird ignition cylinder in a 1990 SC and it wouldnt fit.

- Dan

7birdslater said:
Fordfan, do you have a Part number or something from autozone? The guy behind the counter said they dont have any door locks, just trunk and ignition.
heres the mustang cylinder, I finally got a pic. Thanks.
Looks just like mine!

I did find both ends of the original key. I wonder how much a locksmith would charge to make me some keys using a broken key. Its all there, just in two pieces and a little twisted.

Back