only half of motor is running!!

takotruckin

only half of motor is running!! help!

ok guys, i need help. i got my rad. done and everything, now i found out that it is only running on the left side of the motor(passenger side on a bird). it is idling at about 600rpm with 15hg vacuum. if you really rev it, it will fire a little on the other side, but not much, and it pops and backfires. pulled my plugs and they were soaked with gas on one side, and brand new on the other side of the plug, they are new, the car hasnt been driven with them on, only ran in nuetral. this tells me that the right side hasnt been running at all. im stumped here guys. any ideas would be great.

Last edited:
Are you sure its not running at all on one side? I cant imagine a V styled engine running at all unless at least one or two on each side is firing. Also, are you sure its gas on the plugs and not coolant? That would make more sense to me. Good luck.

7birdslater said:
Are you sure its not running at all on one side? I cant imagine a V styled engine running at all unless at least one or two on each side is firing. Also, are you sure its gas on the plugs and not coolant? That would make more sense to me. Good luck.
well, there is almost NO noise out of the right exhaust, while the other side is screaming away. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65455&page=2 look at pics, you'll understand. i also pulled all three plug wires off that side, it didnt change anything. it really amazes me that it can only run on half the block. the plugs sure smelled like gas. would it be commom for the head gasket to go on the whole bank at once?? i need to check compression tomorrow.

Wow, I wouldnt think it would run either. Codes maybe? I hope somebody can help you with getting that beast going. Looks like a crunched exhast wheelee waiting to happen :)

takotruckin said:
ok guys, i need help. i got my rad. done and everything, now i found out that it is only running on the left side of the motor(passenger side on a bird). it is idling at about 600rpm with 15hg vacuum. if you really rev it, it will fire a little on the other side, but not much, and it pops and backfires. pulled my plugs and they were soaked with gas on one side, and brand new on the other side of the plug, they are new, the car hasnt been driven with them on, only ran in nuetral. this tells me that the right side hasnt been running at all. im stumped here guys. any ideas would be great.
Ok well let get back to your problem. Is the check engine light on? It's quite apparent that you're not getting any spark on the one side. What's the chance of having three bad plug wires? Well it's unlikely but test them with an ohm meter anyway. Trace all you connections from the Coil Pack, DIS, Cam and crank sensors to insure they are on right. Next is your ignition coil pack. Check it for an open and the secondary resistance between the paired companion cylinders. It should be between 13 and 14 k-ohms. Next of course would be the DIS module, cam and crank sensor. It's best at this point to do an KOEO test and try to pull a code.

when i pulled the plug wires they were sparking away, so it has spark. im really worried its headgaskets, or burnt valves. i cant pull codes, there is no gauge cluster, hence, no check engine light. if someone could tell me what wires it is from the ecu, that would be great. after looking on here, i think i have it narrowed down. either crossed plug wires on that whole side, bad o2 sensor causing it to completely flood that bank, blown hg or burnt valves.

Last edited:
Back