power steering question

tank

I just put my sc in shop for a brake problem and thought my power steering hose was busted but the shop said it was leaking from either the pump or a sensor near the pump and would probley need a pump or sensor. Has anyone ever had or heard of this please let me know what i should do. He said the pump was 150 to 200 dollars and the sensor was about 200 dollars plus i still need to get the brakes fixed. In a bind please help

An aftermarket power steering pump costs around $60 after a core refund. It includes all seals including the ones at the EVO actuator (which the shop referred to as the sensor). I don't see how the actuator itself can leak unless it's broken. If it is, a replacement could be expensive as it would probably need to be bought from Ford, unless you find a used one.

The EVO actuator is essentially a variable orifice. There are o rings on both fittings (to the pump as well as to the hose) if memory serves. I did have to replace one (whole actuator)due to leakage on my 89. At that time the actuator listed for $186.00 list. The 89 version was also obsolete so I used a 91 version from the boneyard and also got to replace the HP hose ad the fittings changed sometime between 89 and 91.

Back