Am I Running Too Lean?

edspringer

I just replaced all of the exhaust valves in my 94 since 4 were burned. That fixed my year long rough idle problem. I had a C&L MAF with the GOLD tube installed both before and after the valve replacement. I pulled the #6 and #1 plug to check how the plugs looked. The insulator on both plugs was white with the exception of one small brown spot. So I thought, well, I'll replace the C&L with the Ford MAF body using the same MAF electronics to see if there is any change. After all I did not want to replace burned exhaust valves again. I had the exact same results. The car runs great and my mileage is back up to around 16-17 MPG since the valve replacement. I have an MSD DIS-4 ignition control box installed with Iridium plugs. I'm thinking with the added MSD spark intensity that the proper air/fuel mixture is burning a lot cleaner. Any one have any thoughts?

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 36# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, 5% SC Pulley, 180° Stat, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Rear Spring Air Bags, Ripper Shifter, 73 C&L MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Accel 36# injectors, Scorpian 1.73 Rockers, ARP Head Studs, 190 l/h fuel pump, 180° Stat, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Headers, UD Pulleys, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76 C&L MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, ProTorque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, Optima Yellow Top Battery, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Ed the only way your going to know is to put a wide band o2 on the car. Most dynos will let you do a couple pulls with a wide band for about $75.

David

Back