Before & after HP# for Headers

Randy N Connie

Would any one know before and after RWHP numbers
for Kooks mid-length headers.

I was thinking about buying new headers .For any
one that has bought Kooks headers.How long
did you have to wait to recieve after placing order?

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Randy,
From what I have read in the PAST KooKs headers or any other headers for that matter have done little for performance...Bang for the buck is not there really. I am pretty sure you can accomplish the same thing with some ported manifolds. Thats what I have gathered from reading past threads anyways.

Brad

I would think that a set of Kooks headers would be worth 5 to10 hp.

My main interest is how much they change the RPM power range.
Meaning if the add or take away from the low end ,midrange,or
top end of the RPM ranges.Or do they add power across the
RPM range?

THANKS Randy

Randy,
I think you are spot on...Which is what I meant by saying Bang for Buck is way off for myslef anyways...I am pretty sure you can get similar results with ported manifolds and a proper exh. setup...Just my opinion...

They look TITTS though...Fo shizzle...

Brad

Hey randy I got a boat for sale??? Swear to gawd i do. :D :D :D

J/K Randy I just wanted to put your post at the top as I am also interested in this.
I would think that maybe Wynn maybe has some dyno #'s from some of his work that he may have sold someone. Wynn???????

They look TITTS though...Fo shizzle...

Translater please :p :p

Tyler

Randy N Connie said:
Just wondering if anyone had any insight for headers
for high hp non-street sc 3.8 bird motors.

Randy

I installed headers on my car last week and dynoed it the day after. My only other dyno was from July but both were done on the same dyno and since I live in Texas, the weather was of course hot and humid each time(around 95 deg). The car only picked up about 5 HP but torque went up considerably. The car definately has more bottom end as well as mid range but still falls on it's face above 4600-4800 RPM so don't expect them to extend the RPM range if you are using stock heads and cam. I also took it to an 1/8 mile track in Houston on Saturday night and it ran a new best of 9.12 with a 2.02 sixty foot on street tires. Previous best was 9.19 in the 1/8 with 2.06 sixty foot but in the past I could pretty much just stab the gas and go without tire spin being an issue, however now that same technique results in tire spin through first and into second.

I dont think anyone has used the kooks headers and done before and after dyno runs on a motor that could actually really benifit from them.

There is just noway even a ported manifold would perform as well as a set of any header installed on a worked 3.8...By worked I mean head cam and more boost..

On a bolt on SC maybe not that much as you can see from the post above

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I dont think anyone has used the kooks headers and done before and after dyno runs on a motor that could actually really benifit from them.

There is just noway even a ported manifold would perform as well as a set of any header installed on a worked 3.8...By worked I mean head cam and more boost..

On a bolt on SC maybe not that much as you can see from the post above

I actually did not install them expecting HP, it was my assumption that torque would be where I would see gains, and that is exactly what I did see. It picked up at least 20 lb/ft throughout the range and had max torque of 358.1 at 3000 rpm with the headers. I also did it now so that when I recieve and install my new heads and cam I won't have to worry about getting to an exhuast shop. Also for the record I don't understand why everyone talks about the install like it is such a big deal, it only took me about 4.5 hours working in my garage with the car on jackstands, but I wouldn't waste my time doing it just to put the same manifolds back on ported or not!

83GT460 thanks that tells me a lot.Would you know the length
and diameter of the collector on your headers.

Any one else have some hands on comment.

Thanks Randy

Randy they are 3 inch diameter 6 inch long collectors..Well at least teh fulllenght kooks are.

The shorties have a rather small collector. Maybe 2.5 inch diameter and barely even a few inches long..Ive had both

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Randy they are 3 inch diameter 6 inch long collectors..Well at least teh fulllenght kooks are.

The shorties have a rather small collector. Maybe 2.5 inch diameter and barely even a few inches long..Ive had both

That seems to me to be to short of a collector on the short headers.
But maybe ok if it had a 2.5 exhaust pipe connected to them.

Thanks Damon, Randy

Back