Another harmonic balancer question

quickcat

I just recently experienced a massive harmonic balancer failure and I am in the process of repairing my car. During my post failure analysis I discovered a mismatch between the thickness of my crank key and the width of the slot in the remainder of the balancer sleeve.

Can anyone tell me what the proper crank key thickness is for the SC motors? The key in my crank is .190 thick and the slot in the balancer measured out to be .255 wide. This difference concernes me a lot.

I have a 95 Thunderbird SC with manual transmission. The motor was overhauled be Jasper about 30k ago. Due to a lack of cores they were able to rebuild my engine and send it back to me. I would have rather done it myself but I got the whole job done on a warranty claim.

Also what are the current sources for factory and aftermarket balancers right now?

as soon as i get the info., i'll let you know the Ford part number of the balancer kit i just had put in. The mechanic told me it's brand new from Ford and it just came out for our cars. I hope the guy was being accurate with me- i seen the balancer but did not notice whether it was a motorcraft or not. the new pulley included with the kit had "ford" stamped on it, and he said it was ford. i will verify this in a couple of days.

I had one shell/fragment & dent my hood...so I called Max at 5star ford in scootsdale AZ. I think it was.....270 & 8-12 S&H I think the web site I am refering to is in the "links" section. wait, here it is http://www.fivestarford.com/

my local stealership wanted 435 & 1 day from K.C. to wichita.
you my already know this that its best to replace with a "new" one.

Matt

Last edited:
The only aftermarket option I know of right now is BHJ. That damper was designed with an all steel hub instead of the steel sleeved AL Hub of the OEM version. I have yet to hear of one breaking. Dave Dalke is working on an alternative so you might want to check with him or do a search about dampers as he did have a recent post about them I saw. You can get the BHJ from various sources including Spinning Wheels, Super Coupe Performance and Blue Tongue Motorsports.

Thanks for the info.......but does anyone know the proper crank keyway thickness for the 95 SC? I am worried that I may have the incorrect crank.

The crank sensor pick-up rings are different - on the 94/95 it's a toothed type like the ABS rings for the wheels. Also I believe the hub depths are different on the BHJ (mayby just the early models?), which means on 94/95 you definitely need MN12's extra long bolt, versus the common Mustang V6 available replacement.

all-

i'm still waiting for a call back from the guy who installed the HB. I called him yesterday, and he left a message with his supplier. i will call him today- i just don't want to piss him off by bugging him too much.

Back