LINED syncros

XR7inWI

Hey guys, I have been doing a LOT of searching and I have found a source that says they have lined synchros for our M5R2 trannys. They are asking $325 + S&H. Does that sound like a reasonable price? I contacted them by email and they responded saying the lined syncros are available for our application and gave me the name and 800 # of who to contact. I will be calling tomorrow, just wanted to know what you guys thought about that price. I can also check to see if there is a possibility of group discount and/or discount on multiple sets.

$325 + S&H !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XR7inWI said:
Hey guys, I have been doing a LOT of searching and I have found a source that says they have lined synchros for our M5R2 trannys. They are asking $325 + S&H
Last time I checked, they were $20 each!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

It's been a while since you checked I think. ;)

Ford price was $35 retail and if you had a hookup they were about $25 each. Then Green Sales had a big stock of them for $23 each but someone....bought them all.

So now I think you can still get them through places like Southern Gear but they are about $45 each last I checked. So that would be about $270 for a set. Something tells me that there was a cheaper source, but it wasn't $20 each that I remember.

I know Rich Thomson was selling complete rebuild kits in the $300-350 range but I don't know if he still is.

After re-reading the email they sent me, it does appear that $325 is for the complete rebuild kit with lined syncros. Like I said, I will give them a call tomorrow and find out for sure. I will also try to find out how many sets they have with lined syncros and post the info here.

Lined syncro kit

Bought some from southern gear back in march, yes they are brass and fiber lined syncros.$325+ shipping for the entire rebuild kit.

I thought the lined ones were no longer available. This could make it easier for my search for some. You got a part number from SG?

Chris

I just got off the phone with the guy about the trans rebuild kits. The price of $325 is for lined syncros only. The complete "Master Kit" as they call it is $457 + S&H. The syncros in these kits are an aftermarket product made to OEM specs. He assured me they will continue to carry lined syncros for our trans.

The website is www.drivetrain.com To find rebuild kits for our cars go to http://www.drivetrain.com/transmanualrebuildkit.html
Their phone # is 1-800-216-1632 and ask for Shep if you have any questions. This Shep seemed like a great guy and actually talked me out of rebuilding my trans as he thinks my problem may be in the clutch master or slave cylinder. He advised me on how to check into that a bit further before just yanking the trans and rebuilding.

So, anyways, there is the info. The lined syncros ARE still available and will continue to be available. The price may be higher than we have see in the past, but I guess that is to be expected when dealing with cars in which OE parts are discontinued. Now I just need to check out my master and slave cylinders and see if one of them is the culprit in my hard shifting problems.

OK... I just got off the phone with Justin from Southern Gear (1-800-289-7432).
They also have the fiber lined syncros in stock. HOWEVER, they now sell the syncro ring kits seperate from the bearing kit because of past availability issues. Previously the complete rebuild kit was $330 + S&H but now it would be $225 for the bearing kit and $195 for the ring kit (fiber lined syncros) for a total price of $420 + S&H. That's a few bucks cheaper than Drivetrain.com for the complete rebuild kit but quite a bit cheaper for just the syncros.

Hope this helps some of you out. I know it answered a few of my own questions so I figured I would pass the info along. At least now we know we CAN get the lined syncros even if they are more expensive than they used to be.

Thats great news guys. Thanks for the info. I will have to step that way then get to this new place and give them one to see what we need made. I hope it will save some more money but I doubt it.

Chris

I got just two words to say: Hell yeah! I have been looking for a rebuild kit but every time i searched, i hit a dead end......

Derek

Back