starter relay

Follow the positive lead from the battery to the relay. It should be mounted close to the battery on the firewall. Then there will be another cable that goes from that relay down to the actual starter and solenoid.

Mike8675309 said:
Follow the positive lead from the battery to the relay. It should be mounted close to the battery on the firewall. Then there will be another cable that goes from that relay down to the actual starter and solenoid.
Are you sure about that? From what I see the 94-95's do not have a relay like the 89-93's or am I wrong about that? I thought the positive cable went directly to the starter.
Mike Tuck

The 94 EVTM (I forgot my dad bought one for the 4.6L Couger we've got :p) shows that relay. It's hard to tell, but it may be hidden by the overflow tank?? The compoment diagram was a little strange. But if you follow your positive battery cable, thats what it attaches to :)

Unless I have the wrong part -- it looks like a fog light relay on steroids -- I believe the relay only controls power to the selinoid and the power cable supplys the starter once the selonid kicks in. It appears that the positive cable heads for the crossmember after a detour through a jumper connection on the side of the main fuse box. My '92 has a big beffy relay on the left fender wall and all you need to kick in the starter is anything metal that will bend 45 degrees to touch both contacts and not melt.

Sharon Silver said:
Unless I have the wrong part -- it looks like a fog light relay on steroids -- I believe the relay only controls power to the selinoid and the power cable supplys the starter once the selonid kicks in. It appears that the positive cable heads for the crossmember after a detour through a jumper connection on the side of the main fuse box. My '92 has a big beffy relay on the left fender wall and all you need to kick in the starter is anything metal that will bend 45 degrees to touch both contacts and not melt.

Hmm this EVTM showed the same setup for a 94..... I dunno what else to say.

On the starter there are three posts, two large and one small. The lower large post runs directly to the brushes, the top to the power cable. The car gets to the point it won't start, but if I jump the small post to the large post, it fires right up. This is the third starter. Since it is unlikely that all three would have the same problem, it follows that there is something wrong between that post and power. Where does the wire on the small post go?

Sharon Silver said:
Where does the wire on the small post go?
It should be basically similar to the pre-94 cars in which the wire goes to the anti-theft module (if present), then the neutral safety switch (on an automatic), then the clutch triple function switch (manual) or clutch triple function switch jumper (automatic), then the ignition switch, and finally to the 80 amp ignition switch fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

All the wires that I’ve mentioned below are for a 1992 model. It would help you immensely if someone gives you the wire colors for 1994.
The clutch triple function switch or jumper is in front of the clutch pedal. It’s somewhat similar to the brake switch in front of the brake pedal, but has three pairs of contacts. One pair of contacts is used by the starting circuit (the two red-light blue wires). Don’t search for this switch or jumper on your 5.0L car as it doesn’t have one.
The neutral safety switch is under the car near the transmission mount.
The anti-theft module is in the trunk at the left fender.
I suggest that you start checking from the clutch switch/jumper which is in the middle of the starting system’s low current circuit (battery -> fuse -> ignition switch -> clutch switch or jumper -> neutral safety switch -> anti-theft module -> starter relay). Unplug the clutch triple function switch or jumper and check the connector for voltage at the appropriate wire (one of the two red-light blue wires) when the ignition key is at the START position.
1) If there is no voltage at either wire, then check the ignition switch (black-orange and red-light blue wires). If there’s voltage at the black-orange wire but none at the red-light blue wire when the ignition key is at START, then your ignition switch is bad. If there is no voltage at the black-orange wire, check the 80 amp fuse and check for voltage supplied to it from the battery.
2) If there is voltage at one of the two red-light blue wires at the clutch switch connector, jumper together the two red-light blue wires at the connector and try to start the car. If the car starts, then the clutch switch is bad or its actuator rod needs to be adjusted. If the car doesn’t start, move on to the neutral safety switch and anti-theft module.

Last edited:
Back