Help!!!!dont know what could be going wrong??....

Red Head

I went to start my car today and when i turned the key and the car seemed to struggeled to start but it did, then I looked down and my tach wasn't even reading and my check engine light instantly came on....I quickly turned the car off.....wait like 2 mins.. tried to start the car 4 times but nothing....i can here the starter but its like the car doesnt want to kick over.....i have a obd1 reader but im not to sure how to understand the beeping noises and/or to properly pull codes......i waited another 5 mins then started the car and it kicked right over...tach worked fine... every thing seemed fine....drove for bout 2 mins...engine light came on for like 10 secs then went off...........

I havent had anything done to the car or any harsh driving condidtions....

**has anyone had this kind of situation happen to the and if so whats happening......Thanks!!!!!**

Someone else will probably clarify, but it's mine understanding that bad/no tach input, struggling to start but then eventually starting is related to a bad cam sensor. If the computer is not getting the input from the cam sensor its guessing the posistion of #1 (TDC BDC) etc and when it guesses right it starts. Once again, someone will hopefully build off of what ive said.
Phil

OBD-I Scanner

Once you hook the OBD-1 read to the harness perform a KOEO (key on engine off) test.
Depending on your year you will get either two or three digit codes.
My 94 gets three digit codes.
Before turning the key on turn the reader to the hold position once it is connected.
Then turn the key to the running position but don't start it yet.
Turn the switch on the OBD-1 scanner from the "hold" to "test".
The engine will begin to click and the radiator fans will run for a moment.
If there are codes in the EEC computer they will begin to flash.
You may notice a real fast flash (almost a buzz) for a fraction of a second before the actual codes are displayed.
Begin writing down each number as they are displayed.
An all clear code will either look like this;
beep - pause - beep (11)
beep - pause - beep - pause - beep (111)
Other codes may be displayed with a slightly longer pause between each of them.
These first codes are the KOEO codes and represent any problems that the EEC currently senses.
They will repeat once and then be followed by a long beep with a longer pause.
This is the separation beep.
The codes after the long beep are the constant memory codes that are recorded during past driving conditions.
They too will repeat once as well.
Here's a sample of what I had recently;

------- Separation Beep

From there you can look up the code meanings to see where to start.
LMK if you need any more information.
Bill

all right lets see if i did this right.....i got these # with obd1.....

-----

then silence..........

212= C Loss of Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) input to EEC processor/SPOUT circuit grounded

214= C Cylinder Identification (CID) circuit failure

Any Ideas what these mean?????

..yep,kinda' looks like a cam sensor problem...easy fix,r/r the cam sensor,be sure that you don't drop the little screws that hold it in place.
z

I got the 212 and 214 as well as very similar conditions to what you speak of about a year and a half ago. Was first told it was the TPS so I replaced it to no avail. The tried the cam sensor and it was the best $40 I ever spent. Car ran like a champ for over a year till my balancer broke a few weeks ago. I feel 97% sure that if you replace the cam sensor it will take care of your problem. Hope this helps!!!

well tomarrow i'll go out and get the cam sensor.....and change it and let u guys know how it goes.....thanks for your valuable input!!!! U guys are the best!!!!why pay for a mechanic to b.s you around when i got this lovly place called sccoa....."thats why i have a SC".....Thanks AGAIN!!

Well so far no problem---seems 40$ cam sensor fixed my problems....thanks again guys!!!!

Red Head said:
well tomarrow i'll go out and get the cam sensor.....and change it and let u guys know how it goes.....thanks for your valuable input!!!! U guys are the best!!!!why pay for a mechanic to b.s you around when i got this lovly place called sccoa....."thats why i have a SC".....Thanks AGAIN!!

Back