Running rich with new O2's

WinnipegSC

ok my t birds curently running rich enough that it makes ur eyes water .. i always thought a vacume leak made a car run lean not rich :|.. whast the story here?

edit: car idles at about 14-16inchs of vacume at 1100rpm
AT 750RPm its around 11 inchs of vacume

what could be causeing this?

WinnipegSC said:
ok my t birds curently running rich enough that it makes ur eyes water .. i always thought a vacume leak made a car run lean not rich :|.. whast the story here?

edit: car idles at about 14-16inchs of vacume at 1100rpm
AT 750RPm its around 11 inchs of vacume

what could be causeing this?

Just a thought, where i work (autozone) you can get either the OEM type, or the universal. You did get the OEM type didnt you? Dont know if that would make a difference or not, but worth a shot i guess. Also, what brand did you get?

Yeah, vacuum leak will cause a rich condition, go figure. Unless youre running a huge cam those vacuum numbers are low. Check all the simple things first, vac lines, IC tube connections, collar nut, etc. If that turns up nothing, start thinking outside the box, maybe an intake gasket cracked or broke, my ic tube had an enormous hole in it, took me the help of a guy who really knows these cars to figure that one out. Its all an exercise in patience, youll find if its a vacuum leak.
Phil

i work ina parts center i would NEVER buy teh universal type.. even if it was 200$ cheeper i know better :p

they are bosh factory replacemnts. also why would a vacume leak casue it to be rich the laws of math adn physics say LEAN

Air goes in MAF meeters fuel to match air that goes through maf
air comes IN through vacume leaks

AIR in engine is greater then the maf thinks so it deosnt add extra fuel

AIR > FUEL

if it was ONLY under boost id agree cause air would be LEAVING but its like that at IDLE

Back