IAC solenoid

hytorksc

if you disconnect the IAC on a warm engine idling, should it not cut off?

Mine stays running, and it seems to NOT have any vacuum leaks as the idle is good- pulling 17hgs vacuum in park (AOD).

if all else is working right, is the engine supposed to cut off when the IAC is unplugged during a warm idle?

anyone please? thanks-

Yes, if everythin else is ok and you disconnect IAC, the engine stalls. At least mine did...

Make sure your throttle plate is not hanging open.. sometimes people adjust it to compensate for a low idle, but its not the right thing to do. :)

Mine has never idle right since i have owned the car.
And i have tried the dr fred,dave dalke,manual,ect
way to set none have ever worked.

And I have looked for over three years for a vac leak.
Replace the IAC numerus times.have takin it to numerus
shops. No luck.

Randy

Randy N Connie said:
Mine has never idle right since i have owned the car.
And i have tried the dr fred,dave dalke,manual,ect
way to set none have ever worked.

And I have looked for over three years for a vac leak.
Replace the IAC numerus times.have takin it to numerus
shops. No luck.

Randy
And your throttle plate set screw has it completely closed and your rubber (not metal) engine mounts are in good condition, right? :)

i installed a new IAC, measured the voltage and resistance, everything checked out ok. And the IAC solved my cold start idle issues. But, the thing still will not stall when i unplug the IAC. i don't know whether it's really a big deal or not- the car idles fine now cold or hot.

TbirdSCFan said:
And your throttle plate set screw has it completely closed and your rubber (not metal) engine mounts are in good condition, right? :)

Thanks for the thought of help but i have went though
all this numerus time in the last 3 to 4 years.
It can;t be fixed.not by me or any wrench in my area.
I just take it as nomal that my SC dos not idle and dies
at stop signs.

I was just tring to help the guy that started the post.

Thanks Randy

Over time the TB will become preaty gumed up with crap. After about 15 years of mine being on the car, I removed the entire TB and rebuilt it with a new IAC and TPS. While I had it apart I removed the TB plate and cleaned the entire TB with cleaner. Mine was sticking real bad and now it's as good as new. You can get the new TPS and IAC from www.rockauto.com. They ship rather quickly.

hytorksc said:
i installed a new IAC, measured the voltage and resistance, everything checked out ok. And the IAC solved my cold start idle issues. But, the thing still will not stall when i unplug the IAC. i don't know whether it's really a big deal or not- the car idles fine now cold or hot.
Take off the intake tube and look to see that the throttle plate is completely closed with the engine not running. If not, loosen the set screw, and adjust it.. :cool: What the IAC does it opens and closes fast (sort of a flutter).. the puffs of bypass air speed up the idle speed. The EEC gets RPM from the PIP signal and controls the flutter gaps on the IAC.. very much like the dwell on the spout signal. If you have a preload amount of air leaking past the throttle plate, the EEC will still control the idle; However, if that plate has too much air coming past it, the idle will be too high and can't be dropped even with the IAC fully closed.

In the end, as long as the idle is about right (600-700 RPM) its no big deal.

Last edited:
Back