Anyone using C&L 85mm tuner MAF

Randy N Connie

Is any one using the C&L TUNER MAF 85mm?
If so was it hard to get tuned?And working
good on your SC mn12.And do's it use the
stock eletronics.Is it bolt-on?

Thanks Randy

Randy N Connie said:
Is any one using the C&L TUNER MAF 85mm?
If so was it hard to get tuned?And working
good on your SC mn12.And do's it use the
stock eletronics.Is it bolt-on?

Thanks Randy
Randy, I am running the 85mm. but i still use the regular sampling tubes. the car runs great with no chip!

Kevin I meant to ask you the other day, what sample tube are you using in it? I think you said purple.

Keep in mind that Kevin has 50lb injectors so it will be different with either 42's or 60's. I can help you attempt to get the right one but it's not an exact science.

I am going to buy the new 85mm C&L Tuner MAF
And either #50 or #60lb injectors,from Supercoupe
Unlimited.And I need to buy a air-filter to fit up to.

I will be running a 85mm MP throttle body,3.5 air tube.
With a MagIII,This will be on a stock long block.

Then I will be switching to a A/R blower,right after
the shootout.Then I will be running with welded heads
,cam,etc.So I would like to buy the right size injectors
to run now that will work good later.So I am not sure
if I should go with the #50 or #60lb injectors.

I do not know if my #42 injectors would be big enough
for the MagIII with stock block ,for now,for the Shootout.
Any insight on this.

The parts I have now,and can run are,76MM C&L MAF
3.5 Air tube,BBK 75mm Throttle body.#42lb injectors.
I will be bolting on a MagIII this next week.I have a
MPII on now.I don't know if my injectors are big enough
for the magIII.Would it be best to just install the MagIII
with my setup now? injector#42,maf 76,tb75,ect
would I be running to lean?

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Randy,

42's will be ok with what you have now. Kevin ran 11.60's with 42's but he was running out. 42's will support 335rwhp through your AOD.

You will need 60's for where you are headed. I would wait till after the Shootout to switch injectors because you will absolutely need a tune to run the 60's.

For now I'd keep the 42's and the 76 C&L. We can swap in the 85 when we tune it either at the shootout or some other time. I will be tuning at the Shootout both Thursday and Friday so there should be plenty of time.

Your 85MM is on the way. I can also get you the filter and injectors.

Maybe Kurt has a picture of the new filter he has for his 80MM. It is a monster. :D

XR7 Dave said:
Maybe Kurt has a picture of the new filter he has for his 80MM. It is a monster. :D

Not yet, but that will be the first picture I take with my "NEW" digital camera. Yes, I finally broke down and bought Jenn a camera. I say it's Jenn's because I still want the "Dale mega camera super deluxe setup", but I couldn't affors it right now.

Anyway, as soon as the rest of my camera supplies arrive, I will post a picture. The filter fits perfect with out any trimming of the MP intake tube, like I though I was going to need.

XR7 Dave said:
Kevin I meant to ask you the other day, what sample tube are you using in it? I think you said purple.

Keep in mind that Kevin has 50lb injectors so it will be different with either 42's or 60's. I can help you attempt to get the right one but it's not an exact science.
Dave, I am running one that is bigger than the purole one, The purple one worked on street gas, but was too lean on my race gas. It dosen't have a color on it, but i can mic it for you if you want.

Kevin Leitem said:
Dave, I am running one that is bigger than the purole one, The purple one worked on street gas, but was too lean on my race gas. It dosen't have a color on it, but i can mic it for you if you want.
If it doesn't have a color, then it would be what C&L calls "clear".

That is what I wanted to know, thanks!

I was wanting to switch out the MAF & the throttle body.
Because I have never been able to get my car to idle
with the other two.I have changed every thing three to
four times to get an idle. But the maf and throttle body.

This is why and when I stared to mod my car three plus
years ago was to get it to idel.Well $30,000.00 later it worse.
I am going to try this.and if it does not work.I suppose
that I will just have to except that a SCBird is the most
worthless car I have ever had.Not even counting the
worthless excuse for a transmission these cars have.

RANDY

Randy N Connie said:
I was wanting to switch out the MAF & the throttle body.
Because I have never been able to get my car to idle
with the other two.I have changed every thing three to
four times to get an idle. But the maf and throttle body.

This is why and when I stared to mod my car three plus
years ago was to get it to idel.Well $30,000.00 later it worse.
I am going to try this.and if it does not work.I suppose
that I will just have to except that a SCBird is the most
worthless car I have ever had.Not even counting the
worthless excuse for a transmission these cars have.

RANDY
Randy, I don't know why you would say this about our cars. The ford EECIV is one on the best engine management systems ever produced. Try modifing a GM product and see how well the stock computer handles it. I literally have 30 11 second timeslips and over 200 low 12 second ones. I never had tranny problems that wasn't of my own fault. I cooked one because i didn't have a tranny temp gauge. I was running a 4200 stall converter and driving all over in O/D. I learned my lesson. I installed a 3500 converter, bigger cooler, temp gauge, and i don't lug around in O/D. it has been fine ever since. I street drive my car quite often also. The cars idles perfectly smooth. never stalls, honestly still drives like a stock one. There is almost 15 thousand street miles. I have been fortunate never to have a problem. I did blow 1 head gasket. Which once again was my fault, I new i was running too lean because of my 42 #ers. But I think this is one of the most reliable race/street car that you could ever own. also the only time i have had tuning problems is after I got the sct pro racer package. I have had nothing but trouble with this. I am now back to stock computer. Also the AOD is truly one of the best O/D trannies out there. But you have to spend the money on a good company like art carr. If you spent that much money on your car and didn't get a top doller tranny, then that is your fault, not the car's. I just don't want to see you give up. I love these cars and would hate to see someone give up.

Last edited:
I guess your smarter than me.

I am on my 5th trans.Going on #6 in less than 10,000 miles.
The last was a Lentech street terminator.I now have
a Lentech strip terminator.It would not shift after
around 10 miles on it.The govenor stuck.And I have
tried a Art Carr trans.the stock trans lasted longer
than it did.

I am not bad mouthing the SC bird.But mine is not a good
car.I love my SC but I am not able to get it to run right
nor is anyone else, that i know of.I am not a very
lucky person.And smart enough to own ,or able to afford
a SC Bird.

I am not building a race car.Just swaping parts to get it
to run better and right.I keep making more power,but it has
never ran right.

I am running a Dioblo chip,It got my Air fuel ratio right
but the car has never ran right over 50 miles at a time.

And I lied,I have closer to $40,000.00 init than $30,000.00

Last edited:
T-bird4vr said:
ya post some pics kurt, I hate my zr intake and might switch to the mp one.
Here you go Julian. Pics with my new digital camera from today.

Attachments

• big-arse_filter1.jpg
    big-arse_filter1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 201
  • big-arse_filter2.jpg
    big-arse_filter2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 220
Randy, that is the filter that I recommend for an 80 or 85MM MAF.

Attachments

• big filtera.jpg
    big filtera.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 85
Nettlesd said:
Wow, that's huge. :) Nice zip tie.
Nice of you to notice Duane. I zip-tied a 1/8" thick piece of neoprene gasket material to the intake tube, since the shock-tower is supporting the whole assembly. I'm actually thinking of wrapping the entire intake tube in header-wrap, since the tube seems to get pretty hot....my old rubber tube never got hot :rolleyes:

Kurt K said:
Nice of you to notice Duane. I zip-tied a 1/8" thick piece of neoprene gasket material to the intake tube, since the shock-tower is supporting the whole assembly. I'm actually thinking of wrapping the entire intake tube in header-wrap, since the tube seems to get pretty hot....my old rubber tube never got hot :rolleyes:

If you are going to wrap it with anything do NOT use header wrap. And all the children said "Ghetto!"

If you must wrap it, use reflective thermal wrap. :)

XR7 Dave said:
If you are going to wrap it with anything do NOT use header wrap. And all the children said "Ghetto!"

If you must wrap it, use reflective thermal wrap. :)
As I'm sure it's rather obvious, I don't really car about the looks of my engine compartment. Plus I already have header wrap laying around. However, I might try to find some reflective thermal wrap.

Kurt K said:
As I'm sure it's rather obvious, I don't really car about the looks of my engine compartment. Plus I already have header wrap laying around. However, I might try to find some reflective thermal wrap.

Well, the reason I said that is that thermal wrap is about 100x more effective at keeping heat OUT than header wrap. It's also more expensive which is why the "ghetto" use of header wrap where other materials would be more effective. ;)

XR7 Dave said:
Well, the reason I said that is that thermal wrap is about 100x more effective at keeping heat OUT than header wrap. It's also more expensive which is why the "ghetto" use of header wrap where other materials would be more effective. ;)
OK, you might have convinced me. Got any links?

Back