Taking out the rack on a 95SC

SNX212

I have a 95 SC manual transmission. I was just wondering if anyone on here has replaced the rack on a 95 SC (or similar)? If anyone has or knows anything about it, did you have to, or would you suggest taking the harmonic balancer and pulley off, to help in getting the rack out?

if you mean the steering rack... its not that hard of a job. the worst part is removing and espically reinstalling the powersteering lines. i just did the rack on my 90sc. removal took maybe an hour... but installation took about 2.5.

my biggest problem was the reinstal of the lines.. after that, took no time to reinstall. if you need help i can give you the instructions i did, and a few pointers i learned in the process

Yes, I mean the steering rack. When you took out or installed the rack, was your harmonic balancer ever in the way.

Basically, why I am asking is I had a Ford dealer replace the rack a couple weeks ago, and now my harmonic balancer fell off. The bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on sheared off inside the crank, and the balancer and pulley worked its way off. I have never heard of anything like that happening, and the only logical thing that I can think of is that it might have been to someone advantage to take the harmonic off, to get the rack out, and then they reused and over torqued the old bolt, or over torqued the new bolt. It just seemed like too big of a coincidence that I just had it in, and now a bolt that should never just shear off did. I couldn't think of any other reason why someone would have taken the harmonic balancer off of that car, unless it would have eased the removal or installation of the new rack. I would appreciate any help that anyone has on this. I am just trying to figure out if I can prove that the dealer took off the harmonic and now that caused the bolt to shear.

Thanks

the crank pulley is no where near being in the way.these cars are notorious for the crank bolt sheering off.there are plenty of threads about it and the replacement of the harmonic balancer just do a search on harmonic balancer and prepare for an hour or so of reading.

its highly doubtful that they took the HB off at all... all the work is done under the car near the oil filter... the HB is never touched in the process

Back