Flywheel troubles.

esco90SC

What would cause flywheel teeth to be broken?

What are the effects of having broken flywheel teeth?

Can this cause loss of a gear? Say 3rd for instance...

Flywheel Trouble

The only thing that comes in contact with the teeth on the edge of the flyweel or flexplate for automatics is the starter gears. So if someone has been grinding the starter a lot, it will eventually grind and damage the teeth. You can pull the inspection cover to look at it but you'll have to pull the trans and clutch to replace it.

No, missing teeth on the flywheel will not cause any problems with the internal gears in the tranny. If your tranny has lost 3rd gear you have tranny problems which will require a rebuild. The good side to this is, if your flywheel is missing teeth it will be easy to fix since you will have the tranny out to be rebuilt.

I put my bird in for a tranny rebuil last monday. They noticed the flywheel had broken teeth. That is why I asked. I knew enough to tell them to order a new one. Even though they siad it cost $117 from ford. They ordered it friday and I should have the car back tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the info.

Cancel the order...

Although it is more money, you might want to consider a Lightweight flywheel. I didn't get mine replaced with a lighter one and I'm kicking myself for it now. Think about it dude.

Re: Cancel the order...

Deep6 said:
Although it is more money, you might want to consider a Lightweight flywheel. I didn't get mine replaced with a lighter one and I'm kicking myself for it now. Think about it dude.
Deep6, a automatic tranny does not use a flywheel per say. They use a Flexplate and there are no lighter versions avallable. Flex plates are very light. Mine weighs about 8 lbs.

Ohhh, Deeeerrrr....

I didn't know he was running an Auto....

(Scratches head)

Don't know how that one got past me...

Well have fun with the bird.

No your right Deep6! I dont know where that came from. I'm sorry but yesterday was an Alzheimers day for me.:eek: :eek: My mistake.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Gotta be careful...

Sometimes those Alzheimer's can sneak up on you and make you forget how to do the simplest things! :)

The other day they attacked me at the gas station. I filled up my gas and then I paid the attendant. I went back in my car to get money and I started it up to go. What I forgot was that I left the nozzle in my gas tank. It wasn't a pretty noise when I drove away. Thank god nothing was damaged both my car and his gas pump.

Dude....

If I'm this bad now at 25 I wonder what it's gonna be like at 50?

Geez at the rate I'm going, I'll have to have someone hand feed me strained peas all day long. :)

Re: Dude....

Deep6 said:
If I'm this bad now at 25 I wonder what it's gonna be like at 50?

Geez at the rate I'm going, I'll have to have someone hand feed me strained peas all day long. :)
You are closer to the truth than you know!:D TBK, watch the old fart coments:p if your lucky one day you will be there yourself!:D

Back