What is this? (And other assorted questions)

JimmyDean

A few days ago I had a problem with my car that I thought was the transmission. Turns out it wasnt, but Im wanting to know what this could be. This little connector was arcing from the coil pack to there, with a HUGE mini lightning bolt. When it would do this the car would buck really hard and peg the tach to zero. I taped it off, but it still does it from time to time, and sometimes it kills my tach completely. What is it? Also, in the 2nd picture, what is this little jumper plug? And in the 3rd, what was originally connected to this bolt on the SC top?

1) that is capicitive bleed for the ignition (can't think of the technical term. It is supposed to be connected to a capacitor that is bolted to the corner of your coil pack. You need to hook this back up and yes, DO NOT touch it straight to ground.

2) That is the "spout" connector. Removing this plug bypasses the EEC's control of ignition timing and is used to check base timing after re-assembling the motor.

3) The bolt held a little steel bracket that secured the plugs visible in the picture. Most get lost/broken/removed whenever these cars get worked on. No biggie there.

:)

Well I guess I dont need to worry about the bracket or the EEC timing plug, but the capacitive bleed I do need huh? Well I dont see anything for it to be connected to, could you explain what Im looking for or maybe take a picture? Ive made it completely impossible for it to arc there, yet my coil pack is still arcing somewhere so I probably need new plug wires. Any suggestions there? Also, my speedo has been rendered completely useless. It reads about 15mph high, and bounces everywhere. It didnt do this when I first got the car (although it did read about 5mph high).

I think I found where it goes. Under the coil pack, on the left bottom right? How do I get it back in? The plastic piece was resting on the alternator, Im not sure how it goes back together. Do I have to remove the coil pack?

The clip is broken. You'll have to work with it a little. Sorry no pics, but the capacitor is a little cylinder with a wire sticking out of it. Can't miss it really. I think you found it from what you said. As I said before it is held to the coil pack by one of the corner mounting screws, closest to the IC tube towards the driver. Just find a way to connect that back together.

Dave
Is this what you wanted to show him?

Take Care
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0028-capacitor.JPG
    PICT0028-capacitor.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 244
Wow my car is missing that entire pieces that bolts onto the coilpack up. I just have that little metal clip and a broken plastic piece. What can I do?

I had probs with the same connector (pic 1). It came disconnected because the female plastic connector cracked. My only symptoms were the tach stopped working. I just reconnected it and electrical taped the hell out of it.

JimmyDean said:
Wow my car is missing that entire pieces that bolts onto the coilpack up. I just have that little metal clip and a broken plastic piece. What can I do?
I dunno, but at a minimum, I'd go to radio shack or any hobbyist electronics store and buy a 1000 microF capacitor (20V minumum) thats about the same size and solder/crimp it in. Negative lead to any exposed bolt on the the engine block, positive lead to the bare spade terminal in your picture.
That is until I could get a replacement part either from a junkyard or a seller here.. they sell coil packs all the time. :)

You can snag a capacitor off of any Ford DIS system. Junkyard is a good source.

While you are at the junkyard, snag a speedo with about the same mileage. Any Tbird one will work.

Whoa, you guys got me thinking now. My XR-7 has bucked from time to time....havent been able to figure out what it is. I was kinda leaning toward the fuel pressure regulator since I noticed it under acceleration, but there was one time when it sputtered when idling. Maybe my clip has let go......

Thanks guys.

BTW i've heard you can disconnect the spout connector to retard the timing if premium gas isn't available in an emergency. Also helps with E-test results so I'm told.

My speedometer pretty much died last night... It will stay at zero and every once and awhile jump to like 10 then die again. I really need to fix this, I cant see how fast Im going, and my odo stopped working too (due to dead speedo). Can I get a capacitor/wire thing from a ford DIS vehicle and just bolt it the coil pack corner like in the picture?

JimmyDean said:
My speedometer pretty much died last night... It will stay at zero and every once and awhile jump to like 10 then die again. I really need to fix this, I cant see how fast Im going, and my odo stopped working too (due to dead speedo). Can I get a capacitor/wire thing from a ford DIS vehicle and just bolt it the coil pack corner like in the picture?

Yes you can.

On the speedo thing, you might check the sensor in the tranny. Just pull it out and make sure it's not all buggered up. It's easy enough but you have to get under the car.

Back