problem with eec tuner

chris94SCmt

ok i installed my eec tuner last night and went out this morn to start playing and realized that i dont have a serial port on the back of my laptop. i bought an adapter to go from serial to the long (printer type) fitting on the back of my comp. but it wont read the tuner.

has anyone else run into this problem and if so what did u do? i also noticed that the plug that goes into the card is an ethernet networking cable plug, is it possible to just use an ethernet cable and connect usign the network adapter on my laptop?

please help

chris

Make and model number of laptop and we can lookup the details for you.

Likely your laptop has support for a serial port but needs a port replicator to break it out of a high density plug on the back.

That printer port is LPT, you need COM.

its an HP pavillion zt1155 pentium 4 running windows xp pro.

i stooped and took my desktop out and hooked her up. went to verify tuner and got an error message saying that it needs to be updated. i clicked yes update and i got an error saying that it couldnt verify. so its out now. any ideas.

thanks
chris

It might be a Winxp problem. I could not get the Shiftmaster program to work with XP. I kept getting the error you have. But I have Win98 setup via a dual boot, and tuner works fine. There is a SCTUNER program from Spiro and MN12performance.com that may work with XP.

There is also a USB to Serial port adapter that may work for your laptop. I've seen it from $10 to $40 on Ebay.

I tried running it straight into an ethernet connection, but it didn't work. I assumed that maybe it would need to be connected to a hub for that.

BTW, fast car. :)

thanks xr, i was also thinking of the usb adapter but how would i tell the tuner to send info and read thru the usb and not the com port??

also ne thoughts on the reading problem other than the xp?
do u think that if i tell xp the program ran in 98 or 95 it will work?

thanks chris

The usb adapter assigns new com ports. So in your Tuner program just choose one of the new com ports.

What software are you using and where did you get your EEC tuner?

If you right click on the Shiftmaster program "exe" file and choose properties. You can choose win95,win98, winme capatibility. I tried it that way, but it did not work for me. I believe it has something to do with IRQ sharing with the newer Windows.

It would only work when I booted into Win98 2nd ed.

ok thanks a million guys. im going to try my old computer that is running win 95 tomorrow. i guess its kinda pointless to even buy the f-ing adapter seeing as the software wont even work with the xp on my laptop. I HATE MICROSOFT, especially the xp.

i had nothing but problems with the home that was on here when i first got it and my other comp running it gave **** also. the computer guys at WVU (where i will be attending this fall) told me that the home wont work with the network and ot upgrade to pro but still i have not seen a difference. go figure

anyway thanks for the info
chris

Dude, XP is good, but not unless you have very specific drivers for hardware interfaces. If the software is trying to drive the Serial port directly, it could have issues. I'd check with where you purchased it from.

That laptop doesn't have a serial port according to HP. You'll need a USB to Serial adapter. That'll add drivers that make the USB port look like a serial port to Windows.

If the software is any good, it should work under Windows 200, and if it works under windows 2000 it should work under XP. It just could be that you need to set something up properly.

i hooked the board up to my old comp running windows 95 and had no problems tuning, reading or transmitting. however when i tried it on the xp desktop again, changing compatability for 95, 98 and nt the program would not even start. i tried 2000 and it did the same thing as it did with xp.

thanks tho i will look into it

chris

Buggy software, not operating system.

Dual Boot Win98 is always nice. Problem is your laptop probably didn't come with WinXP media.

I mean the XP install CD. Most computers now come with a CD that is specific to the computer and can be used only to do a fresh reinstall of the PC to factory specs.

If you have XP Media, then you could create a dual boot system. This requires you to reformat the hard drive, create two partitions, one for Win98, one for XP. Install Win98 to the first partition, then install Windows XP. It won't work to install Win98 after XP.

Win98 doesn't know about dual boot, but XP does.

Back