Open Headers

Toms-SC

To make a long story short I've got my car in lots of peices and I installed a set of Mustang exhaust manifolds which does not hook up in anyway to the current semi-stock exhaust system. The exhaust shop is a 20 minute drive away from my place. Speed limit is 60 KPH with a far amount of stops. Should I be afraid? Anything I should know about running open headers? :confused:

if you have undercoating it might be on fire or burning when you get there.
Tom can you put a pipe on them to let it out lower down?

I could Jason but I would have to find the flanges to fit as to bolt up to the exhaust manifold :confused:

Be really careful about backfires, etc... or else your feet are gonna be really warm.

<---knows from experience LOL

Its too risky to do. You do run the risk of burning a vlave. Is it worth it to burn one? Or to set your car on fire with exhaust?

Chris

Toms-SC said:
To make a long story short I've got my car in lots of peices and I installed a set of Mustang exhaust manifolds which does not hook up in anyway to the current semi-stock exhaust system. The exhaust shop is a 20 minute drive away from my place. Speed limit is 60 KPH with a far amount of stops. Should I be afraid? Anything I should know about running open headers? :confused:

It works great

I ran open headers Kooks long tube with O2's in the collectors at the track in the 100% heat. It wont hurt or burn the car or get hot mine sounds like a big block 427 with my special cam grind ;)

Jim Demmitt Jr said:
It wont hurt or burn the car or get hot

It didn't really hurt anything, but on my car after about 15min in 75-80° weather it was starting to get noticeably warm and my buddy said there were visible flashes underneath the car. This was with stock ported manifolds and the car was running pretty rough (hadn't ran for a couple of months)

Jim Demmitt Jr said:
It works great

I ran open headers Kooks long tube with O2's in the collectors at the track in the 100% heat. It wont hurt or burn the car or get hot mine sounds like a big block 427 with my special cam grind ;)
No way hoss...you had long tubes and I bet the temps were 30+ degrees hotter in CA then in Canada. This makes a HUGE difference. If he only runs shorties and its cool, when that cold air gets back in the port it will be like puttin cold water on a red hot pan...I dont see any good coming from this.

Chris

Tom, like I said...you'll be fine to run them. As mentioned above, there may be a slight flash almost like a back fire but nothing that will hurt the car.

As for burning a valve...if you were to run the car without any headers at all then I could believe it, especially if the car was run for a while allowing the valves to heat up significantly. But in your case, this won't happen. If someone here has personally burnt a valve by running headers....then speak up. If it's one of those "my buddy did it" or "I know of a guy" or "I was told" stories, then I don't want to hear it. I've personally driven cars with open headers, and nothing happened to the valves. Hell, I know of a race team that does local testing with no headers on their engines and nothing bad comes of it.

when i went to have my exaust done, i did the same thing, i put mustang headers on and drove it to the shop, loud as hell, but nothing went wrong. Did your headers clear the steering shaft? mine didn't but that coulda been the broken motor mounts.

91supacoop said:
when i went to have my exaust done, i did the same thing, i put mustang headers on and drove it to the shop, loud as hell, but nothing went wrong. Did your headers clear the steering shaft? mine didn't but that coulda been the broken motor mounts.

No, the collector has to be rotated or extended to fit.

Back