Please help, changing the cam on my car....engine doesnt rotate.

ricardoa1

Alright so I am changing the cam on the car, to a less agressive one. BTW thanks DaveD. Anyways, I tore everything out not caring about TDC or anything. I get to part were I need to bolt things back in the car. The crank is in the wrong position and so is the cam. Without the chain I turn the crank to get in position mind you the valves arent connected. I can hear the pressure trying to escape from some of the cylinders. I get to TDC and the crank gets very tight but since I have made it to TDC, I leave it like that. I think it is pressure thats causing the resistense, then when I bolt down the rockers it should escape and be free turning. Well everything is bolted down, and I need to check if the length my push rods are correct. So I tried rotating the assembly and the restance is still there I am afraid of braking the bolt off on the crank. Thats why I am asking you guys. Did I do something wrong when cranking the engine with the heads on and no valves opening? Or is it simply a matter of more strenght? Which scares me.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to take out the spark plugs that should let it turn easy. And after you get the cam, push rods timeing chain ect. installed rotate the engine by hand a few times to make sure that everthing is working free.

Yeah...take the plugs out. Mine was very difficult to turn with all the rockers removed and the plugs still in. We actually bumped the starter (by jumping the relay) just to get it close for aligning the timing chain marks.

David

no164ford said:
It sounds like you need to take out the spark plugs that should let it turn easy. And after you get the cam, push rods timeing chain ect. installed rotate the engine by hand a few times to make sure that everthing is working free.
I have already bolted everything on. Ill take the spark plugs out then. I didnt want to do that but oh well. I thought I messed something up
thanks

Back