94 SC Power Steering Problems

ThunderCoupe94

Hey Guys,

Recently I had to park the SC because the Power Steering has been acting up. Here is the scoop!

My fluid was low so I refilled it & ever since I have had nothing but problems with it. The Pump is full of fluid yet, its leaking out of the Rack & Pinion & whining louder then ever.

I bought a new Rack & Pinion & I am having that installed Monday but why would the Pump be full of fluid & it still whine like a prego cow? Its begining to get on my last nerve & I am about fed up with the car at this moment in time so any help you guys can offer on this subject would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks so much

Jay

You already caused damage to it. so now it will whine. throw some friction modifier on it. It will quiet it down some.

The Ford pumps can get air trapped in them causing them to make noise. They also make noise if they are damaged.

Note your leak could be from a power steering line. If the motor mounts fail, they will drop the engine enough that the oil pan rubs on the p/s line creating a hole.

Also the ford pumps (on our cars) can run ATF, or Power Steering fluid. A change to ATF from power steering fluid can quiet some pumps.

Thanks for the replies.

Should I replace the Pump also with the Rack & Pinion?

Also what else should I change while im gettin this crap situated so I dont have to worry later on in the future.

About the Mounts, I just had some Solid Rubber Mounts installed a few months ago have about 2k miles on em I dont think thats the problem..

Jay

Back