Bad Tire?

MrBlvd

I've submitted these photos to tirerack for warranty consideration ... I will post their response.

I do not recall hitting anything or noticing low pressure prior to this happening. Saw the tire go out in front of my car as I was exiting the intersate last night ... at first I thought the entire wheel came off.

Has anybody experienced a tire failure like this before?

AVON AV TECH M550 A/S 235/50R17

Attachments

• P9100020.jpg
    P9100020.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P9100021.jpg
    P9100021.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 55
  • P9100022.jpg
    P9100022.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 48
  • P9100023.jpg
    P9100023.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 62
  • P9100026.jpg
    P9100026.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 70
When I worked at a tire shop, it wasn't uncommon to see stuff like that come off of recapped truck(18-wheelers) tires. I've also seen some come off of pick-up trucks that were carrying a load, and the driver didn't bother to up the air pressure. BUT, I have no clue why the tire would fail on your SC.

I had that happen once.... but it was a really worn out tire and I had about 500lbs in the trunk of my NA Bird. Oh and the shocks were (still are) worn out. I abuse that poor car. :p

As I manage a Goodyear Store, look carefully in the tread area for any type of puncture(nail, cut, glass ect) as it may have come out and at highway speeds rapid loss of air pressure can cause this but it really looks like the tire just came apart due to poor adhesion when the tire was made. Now how old is the tire? It looks to have has a hard life, like burnouts, ect as the tread has burn spots on it, like the corners have really rough edges. If they find any of these symptoms they will not pay a claim, but if it just came apart, they should pay up. I have seen this quite common on the AVON, KUHMO, COOPER and some Firestone( yea we all know)., heck even a Goodyear tire will do this if run flat from 65 mph. It does not take long to ruin a tire if it is flat, espically a low profile tire.

Thanks for the insights

unclenick said:
As I manage a Goodyear Store, look carefully in the tread area for any type of puncture(nail, cut, glass ect) as it may have come out and at highway speeds rapid loss of air pressure can cause this but it really looks like the tire just came apart due to poor adhesion when the tire was made. Now how old is the tire? It looks to have has a hard life, like burnouts, ect as the tread has burn spots on it, like the corners have really rough edges. If they find any of these symptoms they will not pay a claim, but if it just came apart, they should pay up. I have seen this quite common on the AVON, KUHMO, COOPER and some Firestone( yea we all know)., heck even a Goodyear tire will do this if run flat from 65 mph. It does not take long to ruin a tire if it is flat, espically a low profile tire.

Tires installed last December so they are ~8.5 months old ... odometer does not work but I estimate ~3,500 miles ...regarding "abusive situations" I've been fairly easy on them since installed but I was having some fun prior to this event ... however... I was on the interstate for a good 5 to 10 minutes before this happened at proper speeds so I would think the tire would have been at proper temperature

I spoke with tirerack today and followed up by sending the photos to them as well. It will be interesting to see what their response is. I went ahead and purchased a tire since regardless of their position I need it. Tire is normally priced at 131 and they gave it to me for 107 so at the very least I got close to a 20% discount.

Back