Cheap Window Motor Fix

H GREENLEY

:) ACE hardware has half inch hard plastic spacers that are $0.22 each or less depending on the length. Just cut to height, squeeze with pliers to give a little oval shape so the metal gear will fit.

Or you can buy the gear repair kit for $19.00 to $30.00 depending on the location. :eek:

Heres is a probably little known fact. Those little plastic spacers are used in more than just the S/C. I had never had any trouble with mine........was trying to figure out what all the talk was about them.

This summer the window wouldn't go up on my 1987 Bronco. The motor ran, but the window just hopped up and down.....tore it down, voila plastic spacers in a million little shavings.

Tore down a spare S/C window motor I had. Although the housing, motor and gear pitch was different, the spacers were exacty the same.

I'll bet any Ford power window motor would be a good donor for these. In fact , the power tailgate window was having some issues, so I tore it down tonight and fixed all the problems. While I was at it, I overhauled the electric motor.....Bronco power tailgate window motors also have these plastic spacers in them.

AT 0.22 CENTS A POP, YOUR TALKING ABOUT DONOR PIECES???! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Katoom said:
Heres is a probably little known fact. Those little plastic spacers are used in more than just the S/C. I had never had any trouble with mine........was trying to figure out what all the talk was about them.

This summer the window wouldn't go up on my 1987 Bronco. The motor ran, but the window just hopped up and down.....tore it down, voila plastic spacers in a million little shavings.

Tore down a spare S/C window motor I had. Although the housing, motor and gear pitch was different, the spacers were exacty the same.

I'll bet any Ford power window motor would be a good donor for these. In fact , the power tailgate window was having some issues, so I tore it down tonight and fixed all the problems. While I was at it, I overhauled the electric motor.....Bronco power tailgate window motors also have these plastic spacers in them.

You can get those nylon pieces in the HELP section at any auto parts store as well. They are part number 74410. They are called window regulator gear plugs.

Mike Donley

wow im impressed that you actually know the motormite part number :eek:... yeah almsot all parts stores(autovalue) should have them in stock tis a fairly common part

Years ago the HELP parts were not avaliable. Both of my motors in the 89 have pieces of plastic toilet brush handle carved to fit.
Has worked for about 8 years and still as tight as factory.

well my passanger window stopped workin on me the other day at first it would go up fine almost come to a stop halfway than continue up. than it would only go down a lil but when i pull it up by hand and press the button it will only move up as fast as the motor allows.

i thought one of the plastic clips broke. i took off the door panel and take the window motor out and there was awhole bunch of blue plastic pieces all over the motor. so i had access to a motor out of a junked crown vic took a few parts off that threw alot of wheel bearing greese on it and man its working very nice now. original motor in there too with E9xx on it

Back