Oil Leak/ Rough Idle

tbirdfan1993

My 89 SC 5-Spd spews oil, and the idle is extremely rough. It sounds like it's gonna cut off then it revs really high to keep itself running. The fellow I bought it from says the supercharger is not fastened properly. Would that cause the leak as well as the lack of apparent pressure to keep smooth the idle?
Update: Well, I took it to a knowledgale friend of mine who showed me a valve cover was leaking, in addition to my bird "missing" rather badly. He suggested scrapping the whole engine because of miles (140K). I was thinking just replacing plugs/ wires. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Don't get rid of her...

It sounds like you have an intake leak or an IC tube could be leaking....

As for the oil leak, join the club... :D

All of the problems are fixable....

For the oil leak, try tightening the bolts on the valve cover. That fixed my problem, and many others'. Yes, replace plugs and wires if they are original. And the idle problem is prob. very fixable. Check for vacuum leaks, boost leaks, and then maybe check sensor inputs. Maybe call the guy you bought it from and ask for more info?

Definately dont scrap it. My car has 205000 miles on it and it has a slight miss at idle. I think im gonna change pkugs and wires in a week or two. It runs and drives like a dream. Brakes need work, it has the shakes when stopping. I love it all the same.

Back