Slight power steering problem

JimmyDean

When I first got my car, I parked on our extremely driveway. When I took it off there were a few drops of what I thought was oil... No big deal I thought, car has a few miles, drips a little oil. Now Im pretty sure that it is power steering fluid. Last night, it was getting a little difficuilt around parking lots so I checked the stick and it was completely dry. I filled her up, but it seems that it still a lil hard to steer. Id like to find where the leak is, and fix it if possible. Any suggestions?

When you fill the reservoir from empty you do need to get the air out of the system. It'll eventually go with use, but to save damaging the pump you should jack up the front wheels and work the steering side to side with the motor running. You should also check the oil cooler inside the front right fender for hose leaks; but the most common leak of all is caused by failing engine mounts. The original fluid filled mounts dry out with age and the engine actually sits about 1/2" lower than it should. This causes the sump pan to rub on the metal power steering lines that run under the rear of the pan. In extreem cases a hole has actually developed in the pan itself as well as in the line. However, while you check this all out I'd put a bottle of Lucas additive in the steering to atleast slow down the current leak.

Back