89 JBL Amplifier Wiring Diagram

Silverstreak89

My son had to boost the battery and ended frying the battery, burning-up one of the wires at the starter relay and shorting out the locks, lights, seats etc. Had the car in the shop all of August trying to find the short. They didn't find the short (had half the dash out) but managed to cut some wires (I think they cut out the LCD illumination relay) that got the locks etc to work. Does anyone know what this relay controls?

Only thing left to get working is the radio - it lights up and you can tune it, but no sound. So I'm figuring that the boost may have fried the main amplifier ( I've got the factory JBL sound system-main amp c/w sub amp). Does anyone have the wiring diagram for this amp - there are two connectors, the smaller of which plugs into the sub-amp.

I'm assuming that if I can find the power-in and ground from the radio, I should be able to measure some voltage coming in and if I find the speaker outputs I should be able to measure voltage across those wires and see if it's the radio or the amp.

Thanks for your help

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=442003#post442003

maybe this will help you i am struggling with the same kind of problem in a 95 sc it is so hard to get in there and know what the wires do. I think that ford should replace all the wires in the birds they all seem to have problems if you still need help look up just jbl or premium sound and the trunk tray to get it out so you can see how to take it out.

Silverstreak89 said:
.................. They didn't find the short (had half the dash out) but managed to cut some wires (I think they cut out the LCD illumination relay) that got the locks etc to work. Does anyone know what this relay controls?
The LCD Illumination Relay allows you to vary the brightness of the radio's display by rotating the main light switch knob, when the headlights or parking lights are on. The display brightness is fixed at a preset level when the lights are off. I wish that the VMM had this feature too as the display is too bright in the night.

J.D. said:
The LCD Illumination Relay allows you to vary the brightness of the radio's display by rotating the main light switch knob, when the headlights or parking lights are on. The display brightness is fixed at a preset level when the lights are off. I wish that the VMM had this feature too as the display is too bright in the night.

Is the radio's diplay brightness the only thing this relay controls?
Thanks again

I think that it controls the brightness of the CD player's display as well. I cannot verify this as my battery is disconnected. The 1992 EVTM and wiring diagrams seem to have some errors in them with respect to the illumination for the radio and CD player, e.g., the same wire has two different numbers.

Back