Sitting Duck...

blksc

I am thinking about buying a 92 SC thats been sitting for two years. The seller says that it will crank, but wont start. I am sure this is a very vague question.. but what typically should i expect to be wrong with an SC thats been sitting for such a long time?

Sitting is generally the worst thing a car can endure, other than constant beating. It hits automatic transmissions really hard. Suspension, brakes, and a host of other things are in for a meeting from my friend and yours... dry rot.

mine was sitting

Mine was only sitting for about 6 months when I got it. I've replaced a lot of parts, from valve cover gaskets to brake hoses.

Heres where you could start; try putting some new gas in it, then maybe you could clean the plugs. Since it has been sitting so long you may want to try to replace the fuel filter. These things are all very cheap and easy to do.

Shane

An engine off key on test would also be a good place to start...It will tell you what the ECM see's and does'nt see in the way of sensors and such. The NO START scenario could be a number of things though. For example: If your upsift light stays on while cranking that means the CrankSensor is gone, or the wire harness to it is compramised in some way. Both are somewhat common.

You can rent a Scanner from AutoZone and probably other parts stores similar.

Good Luck,

Brad

Those are all very good ideas. I have a scanner that i bought when i had my 94SC (sniffles). I guess realistically this thing has been in the elements for two years... I am almost sure that there are numerous problems lurking...

I may pass this one. I'd rather spend more money on a car i can get in and drive rather than going to the poor house before i even mod it :)

maintenainance

All of these things are also good maintenance things also, these things such as the fuel filter, plugs, wires, crank position sensor, etc... are all types of things that you will need to do to any car. Thank god it isn't a sho that needs a valve adjustment.
On a side note, I've always believed it should run right before mods are even considered.

I bought a '91SC that had been sitting with the crank/no start.... a new engine and Art Carr Tranny now,,, about 5,000$ into it and my differential just shredded.... if you have $$$ these cars are a hell of a lot of fun! :eek:

Back