Interior lights circuit dead short

JimmyDean

I pulled up the carpet on the driver side and looked for the possible bad splice, and found 3 LTGN/YEL wires but no splice. The problem is, whenever I try to put a 15A fuse in the interior lights slot the fuse blows instantly. Where should I be looking for shorts?

JimmyDean said:
I pulled up the carpet on the driver side and looked for the possible bad splice, and found 3 LTGN/YEL wires but no splice. The problem is, whenever I try to put a 15A fuse in the interior lights slot the fuse blows instantly. Where should I be looking for shorts?

Take all of the bulbs out of the sockets and check for shorts there first. Then check the power wires under the dash that run to the lights. You may have pinched one in the glovebox or kicked one under the steering column. Also try and follow the feed wire for the overhead light dome light.The fuse may also run different items besides the interior lights and that may be your problem. Have you done anything major lately that may have impacted something in the system? I usually backtrack my work if something like this happens and I find the problem pretty quick. Hope this helps, Rob

I have come to the conclusion that there is no SuperCoupes or Marauders in Kuwait :(

The car came like this so I do not know. Other things that dont have power - power mirrors, and there is no power to the subwoofer amplifier.

I had a similar problem in my 95 with no interior lights, no power locks, no power mirror, and remote entry didn't work. I put a 20 amp fuse in, instead of a 15, and waited for something to start smoking. Turns out, it was the electronic door lock control processor in the trunk. On the processor board, is a flat ribbon cable which loops over a component. After time, the ribbon cable wears and shorts against the component on the board. Simple solution was to slightly bend the component so that the ribbon cable doesn't rub.

JimmyDean said:
My power locks work fine.
Also look at the door lock switches and where the wires come out of the door in the the pinch area. Unhook all the window switches and door locks and mirrors and see if the fuse still goes.

Check your hood light

I had this same problem on a vehicle once, and after paying over 400 bucks for a dealer to try and find it, turned out my hood light wire had shorted thanks to opening and closing the hood over and over. I believe its on the same circuit as the interior lights too. Lord knows with these SC's we sure wear out the hood hinges.......

another thing to check is underneath the center console like where the shifter is.. theres a wire for the light for the cigarette tray... mine was chaffing against something and causing a short blowing out my inst. cluster lights.

Back