Radiator

hytorksc

I have an idea that may just work for significantly reducing engine temps on these cars. I drove into work this morning about 50 miles one way on the interstate, across two mountain ranges, 6% grade for 3 miles up the mountain and usually my engine temps go up past the "N", settling between the "O" and "R" of normal while climbing the mountain at 80 mph. I think this usually means that the temps are approaching 200+*, and i have a 180* therm with the fan on all the time- the cooling system is still being overtaken. But this morning I turned on the heater full blast, and the temps this time stayed below the "N" going up the mountain. This tells me that a smaller than stock auxilary engine radiator with a fan may give the stock system the cooling capacity to overcome the heat during hot weather with the fan running all the time. The heater core is a very small radiator, and with the fan blower on high it acts as an auxilary radiator anyway- that's why the temps go down when you turn on the heater.
You would also have the advantage of maybe 50% additional coolant in the system. placing it would be the issue- how to do this without bleeding heat into the other heat exchangers. optimally it would be a front mount though- that would even solve the overheating when the AC is on issue.

what do y'all think?

Last edited:
Back