Got it running but theres another prob

ZeroRain

well i replaced the DIS and got my 89 SC to finally start. The thing is that when it starts it will idle up some then back down like its going to die then pick back up and back fire. got any ideas

Could you please describe your problem a little more in detail for us? With only the description that you have provided and not knowing how many miles that are on your car I would say if you have not yet replaced your plugs and wires do so.

Shane

Like Shane said...With the vague nature of the description we could put you on a wild goose chase with a number of differant things. The more descriptive you can get the easier it is to nail down to a few possabilities.

Backfire is timing related alot of times.

Idle issues can come with the timing problem but with a number of other things as well.

Brad

Something to consider...

If you disconnected the battery when you installed the DIS (which you probably should have done), then the EEC (or PCM) will need to go through the "re-learn" process to properly maintain idle. During the re-learn, the idle will fluctuate and possibly drop to a near stall at stoplights. After a few trips down the road and back the car's idle should smooth out if this is the cause.
If it continues, or if the check engine light comes on, you will probably want to get a code reader and pull the fault codes from the EEC's memory to find out what is malfunctioning...

well the plugs and wires are changed theres 112 or so on the car and i had unhooked the batt to do the cam sensor swap and all. i also dont think i have the sensor adjusted right. also when i nail the throttle it smoothes out and revs nicely

ZeroRain said:
well the plugs and wires are changed theres 112 or so on the car and i had unhooked the batt to do the cam sensor swap and all. i also dont think i have the sensor adjusted right. also when i nail the throttle it smoothes out and revs nicely

Adjust your cam sensor correctly and the issue could very well be cleared up.

There used to be an article on this but I remember it being at the TBSCEC which is no longer.

Brad

i plan on adjusting the sensor tonight and i also have to replace the pcv valve because im getting oil blow out of the dipstick tube.

Back