Replaced Torque Converter and now car won't go?

Red Thunder SC

OK, I was having a bad vibration whenever I put my 92 AOD in reverse at low RPM's, so I replaced my Torque Converter with a TCS one that only had 30,000kms on it and now I can barely go forwards and I don't have any reverse. I thought that it may have been my Throttle Valve linkage that was out of adjustment but I have played around with it and to no avail, nothing has improved? Now I'm starting to wonder whether the vibration had any thing to do with my tranny in the first place? Please help, I'm out of what little expertise I had on this subject.

Stephan

3 possibilities i can think of may have happened. While i'm not a tranny man my best friend does own a transmission shop and i hear all the stories....... one thing is you could have "stacked the pump" , that is, when you installed the converter you didnt get it on all the sets of splines on the shaft.....you have to spin the conveter as you put it on the input shaft and make sure it goes all the way in. as you spin it it should go on further. If you simply shoved it on the input shaft you didnt get it all the way on and you probably destroyed the pump. Another possibility is that if the converter in fact was bad, it could have sent metal shavings (shrapnel!) all throughout your transmission, damaging more than just the converter. And of course the 3rd possibility is that the problem was more than just the converter in the first place. If i had a trans problem and spent the time and money to replace the converter, i'd probably overhaul the trans at the same time.

Anyway good luck!

I'm pretty sure that I put the TC on properly, it went on all three shaft splines separately before it clicked* up against the tranny.

Also, my car now has a tendency to run like crap and stall out?

oh, hahaha, be sure u plugged all the sensor harnesses back in. lol, i see this a lot. if you don`t the car will start out in 2nd or 3rd and by the time you start goin, the TC has reached its stall speed and it will die. try it in manual 1st, if it has more pep and goes no prob, thats where your problem is.

also, the TC really wouldn`t have anything to do with the vibration in reverse, thats internal.

aaron

thanks a lot, I'm going under my car right now to see if anything was unplugged. Are there any sensors that come to mind/do you know how many there are that are attached to the tranny?

Alrighty then, apparently I'll just put my old TC in and see if it works because nothing else seems to be helping. The tranny that it came from was cooked, could it be that the TC was also cooked? Or could the TC have been the problem in the first place?

Last edited:
Used TC's are not a good idea, more so if they came out of a cooked tranny. The problem is when you cook a tranny all the contamination gets pumped throughout the whole system and that includes the TC. When a tranny fries it usually damages the TC. When buying TC's always buy new!

Back