PDA

View Full Version : Dyno/tune day with XR7 Dave

SCme
09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I trying to see if there is enough interest in getting a group up for XR7 Dave to do a dyno day here in the SE area. I think he needs about 5 to get it started. Dave is IMO the best tuner for atleast the SC's out there, so you'll be getting someone that knows Ford even put a supercharger on a car before the Lightning.

Price and location is still in the air. I just trying to see if there is enough interest in doing one. If you are interested either post here, or send me a PM about it and how far you are willing to drive to do it. I think most SC in the SE are in the metro Atlanta so it may be in that area, though this place in Calhoun GA is nice. http://www.dyno4mance.com/index.php

sizemoremk
09-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Probably not anytime really soon, but perhpas a couple ot three months down the road.

I'd love to meet Dave, it would be nice owing its tuned right!

Maye we could try and schedule him between Thanksgiving and Christmas???

Or were you thinking alot sooner???

Where exactly is this place??? How far from Chattanooga??? or is it closer to "the ATL"

Mike Puckett
09-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I would be interested, but I need to install my 42# injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and swap out my MAF sample tube 1st. That will be right after the Summit season ends next month. I can also recommend Higgins Ford Performance in Douglasville as a good site. Tommy Higgins has had Jerry there several times. Another place Could be Team Ford in Marietta but I don't know anybody there.

SCme
09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Probably not anytime really soon, but perhpas a couple ot three months down the road.

I'd love to meet Dave, it would be nice owing its tuned right!

Maye we could try and schedule him between Thanksgiving and Christmas???

Or were you thinking alot sooner???

Where exactly is this place??? How far from Chattanooga??? or is it closer to "the ATL"

place, price and date/time are not set. I just posted this as a feeler post to find out. Basically in Dave's email, he mentioned at least 5 and if some one couuld provide him a place to stay and transport him during his time here.

I don't have a date in mind, just after I get my double I/C made and maybe a TB if I find one at a "discount" price, but would like to work out all the details to save up the $$$.

The place in the link I posted is about 1/2 way between Chattanooga and Atlanta, but that was just a suggestion. I have been there and Andrew is a great guy. As Mike just mentioned there is Higgins and Team Ford. I think Mike has had good luck at Higgins

sizemoremk
09-15-2005, 10:10 PM
What TB are ya looking for?

The pro-products 75mm is about as cheap as yer gonna get....

SCme
09-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah, unless I find the deal of the year on a BBK, that's most likely what I will end up purchasing.

XR7 Dave
09-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, Tim has emailed me about possibly coming your way for tuning. I'm game for it, just need some advance warning and a mat to sleep on. ;) I'm a running a little ragged right now with the Shootout coming up but there will be plenty of time as we get into late Oct. or Nov. Some of you should try to make it to the event, it's a great time!

SCme
09-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Dave,

I would love to make the SC Shootout, but we just purchased a house so I'm out again. I think they are bound to be some SE folks heading that way, maybe Mike Tuck from Knoxville?

Also, if you don't mind, could you give us/me some ideals on what to expect for a tune. It can just be a ballpark figure, with the following options:
needing a chip/tune
have chip/just need tune
have a eec tuner (are they even worth it?)/tune.

Of course these will be plus the dyno charge.

Thanks a bunch Dave

sizemoremk
09-17-2005, 03:05 AM
have a eec tuner (are they even worth it?)/tune.

I sure hope its worth it!!!

I know the wife will be certain it will do just fine ;)

XR7 Dave
09-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Chip is $300
Reburn or EEC Tuner is $150

EEC Tuners work ok. Not my favorite but they work.

Mike Puckett
09-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I'd like to get my new injectors and the Snow Perf system installed before a tune, so, to make sure I've got time to install everything, Nov/Dec is best for me.

T@Sound-Xtreme
09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey Dave i got an extra room and bed if its close to me.

You can drive my sc and tune it at the same time :D

Tyler

the-big-e
11-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I trying to see if there is enough interest in getting a group up for XR7 Dave to do a dyno day here in the SE area. I think he needs about 5 to get it started. Dave is IMO the best tuner for atleast the SC's out there, so you'll be getting someone that knows Ford even put a supercharger on a car before the Lightning.

Price and location is still in the air. I just trying to see if there is enough interest in doing one. If you are interested either post here, or send me a PM about it and how far you are willing to drive to do it. I think most SC in the SE are in the metro Atlanta so it may be in that area, though this place in Calhoun GA is nice. http://www.dyno4mance.com/index.php
I am interested.....

Let me know a time and place.....

sizemoremk
11-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I'd prolly be down for a tune in a couple weeks, just needs to have some time to make sure I got all I want on the car...

Somewhere near the ATL ????

the-big-e
11-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Chattanooga, Red Bank, Lookout Mtn, Dalton, Dawsonville, Marrietta, Sandy Springs, Chamblee Tucker, Little 5 Points.......

Anywhere works for me......

sizemoremk
11-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Chattanooga, Red Bank, Lookout Mtn, Dalton, Dawsonville, Marrietta, Sandy Springs, Chamblee Tucker, Little 5 Points.......

Anywhere works for me......

Well Chattanooga is closer for me :)

XR7 Dave
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Hey guys, I know a few of you were working on some mods and wanted to wait on the tuning. Anytime this or next month is great for me. Post here when you'd be ready and we'll book something around that.

David

Mike Puckett
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
My engine is still apart. I should be getting the heads back in a week or so. The new 42# injectors, O2 sensors, fuel pressure reg, and 255 pump are in. I'm forgoing the Snow system for the meantime. I probably won't be ready until next month.

the-big-e
01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
I am still waiting....

Just give me a time and place and I'll be there.....

Except for January 29th......

1st anniversary....:D

sizemoremk
01-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I should be ready before next month also...

the-big-e
01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Can I get a discount if I bring more than 1 SC? :rolleyes:

JStudrawa
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I am good anytime. Got my mortgage locked in at a lower rate, so I'm not as scared to spend the cash now.

Though, we may need a dyno that can handle 2k+ HP, since the GA 2006 registration sticker is yellow. Yellow = HP!!!! :)

Edit: E, we may be able to time the doors with this too, to save shipping/hassle...

Edit 2: On my '89 Rust Bucket ~~~, what would I need? Chip or EEC? Looking at total cost really, plus the dyno time, etc.?

SCme
01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Josh,

A eec tuner or tweecer or what ever they are being called now, would be the 'best' if you have the knowledge and ability to tune/use one(not saying you don't know how). That would allow you to add mods and tune your car instead of having to pay someone to burn you a new chip each time. From what I have read, it would be hard for me to replicate the results Dave seems to get when he does a dyno/chip session. If I was keeping the SC, I would be letting him do one for me.

Dave, another question, can you do other Ford products/Tbirds? If so there maybe others of interest to have say a 4.6 Bird tuned.

XR7 Dave
01-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone for posting, I've looked up where you guys live and it looks like Atlanta is a central location if everyone posting makes it to the tune. I will call the dyno that Mike suggested (Higgins Ford Performance in Douglasville) and see what costs will be.

Tim, are you not needing a tune now? Just making sure since you started this thread.

So far we have:

Josh
Mike P
Mike S
Ed

Ed you are far away, would you really bring 2 cars?

It looks like Mike P has the longest timeline, and I'll need about 2 weeks lead time to book a flight without being killed at the ticket counter. Let's see how your car is coming Mike come the end of this month and look at planning again from there. Do you get snow in Atlanta? Just trying to figure if weather will be an issue in February.

Tim, I can do any Fords, no problem.

Josh, I can tune any device but a chip is going to be your most reliable and cheapest method. It kinda sucks when you have to make changes, down the road but I'm really reasonable on reburns and retunes if needed. As always, the initial chip and tune come with a lifetime warr/garr.

SCme
01-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Dave,

I might still do the tune just to clear the CEL for the deleted EGR, which should help sell the car faster to areas with emissions and clean up the A/F ratio. I'll post on some of the SE states on TCCoA to see if any of the others are interested. Dave, let me know how many you want to try and do either based on your time or the shop's time frame. If you want I can try to start a list so there will be an accurate count.

Would it be worth it to tune the '95 GT I purchased. All it has is a Trickflow street intake, FMS headers, Dr. Gas X with flow exhaust and a little K&N drop in filter. It's got a TF cam to go in at some point, when I can slip it past the wife.., but a position change and going back to school to change my career path just might put that cam swap on hold for a long time.

JStudrawa
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Josh, I can tune any device but a chip is going to be your most reliable and cheapest method. It kinda sucks when you have to make changes, down the road but I'm really reasonable on reburns and retunes if needed. As always, the initial chip and tune come with a lifetime warr/garr.

How easily can you reburn? I won't be able to get the car to you to dyno/burn it every time of course.

Let me check the TCCoA board too and call Rick. He doesn't post at all, but may be interested in getting his race car tuned. Plus, he knows folks that aren't aware of the boards, like the guy who bought a better condition XR7 for $300 :(

What is your flight cost, so we can figure a ballpark cost there too?

the-big-e
01-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Ed you are far away, would you really bring 2 cars?
I am thinking about it......:D
I can stay with friends in Cummings...

Do you get snow in Atlanta?
February is a hit or miss month with the weather....;)

It could be cold / icey and 70 with sunshine on the same day.....:D

If it snows in Atlanta we clean out all the grocery shelves, because we will get hit with a good one.....:eek:

XR7 Dave
01-05-2006, 11:17 AM
The GT might benefit a lot from a tune. They do the same thing that SC's do with mods - go lean. Results aren't as disasterous though.

An ideal tuning group is 5-6 people so we are kinda there now if everyone commits to having something done.

On the flight, if we have 5 tunes committed then that covers airfare. I do normally look for someone to put me up for a night or two as a hotel bill and rental car kinda kills the deal. 6 cars usually takes a full 8 hr day on the dyno.

Josh, reburns are a matter of sending the chip to me (usually 3-4 days down time), but you'd only need to do that if you make changes to the car. Depending on the type of change, a trip to the dyno might be needed to verify AF. In most cases the car can be driven without the chip for a couple days.

For example, if you have the stock airbox at the tune but later buy a bigger TB and CAI, you'd need a trip back to the dyno to see what affect it had on your car and then send the chip to me along with the dyno sheet for changes. It's not an ideal situation but its the best you can do.

Having an EEC Tuner sounds like a better deal and perhaps it could work out to be better if you really know what you are doing with it but I've yet to see anyone actually capable of making changes with confidence. There-in lies the problem. Many people have them, extremely few know how to use them effectively. True, I could email you files which you upload yourself, but you get the point. It certainly won't save you money. Plus I've seen about 70% reliability with the EEC Tuner vs. 99% reliability with a chip.

JStudrawa
01-05-2006, 11:23 AM
The GT might benefit a lot from a tune. They do the same thing that SC's do with mods - go lean. Results aren't as disasterous though.

An ideal tuning group is 5-6 people so we are kinda there now if everyone commits to having something done.

On the flight, if we have 5 tunes committed then that covers airfare. I do normally look for someone to put me up for a night or two as a hotel bill and rental car kinda kills the deal. 6 cars usually takes a full 8 hr day on the dyno.

Josh, reburns are a matter of sending the chip to me (usually 3-4 days down time), but you'd only need to do that if you make changes to the car. Depending on the type of change, a trip to the dyno might be needed to verify AF. In most cases the car can be driven without the chip for a couple days.

For example, if you have the stock airbox at the tune but later buy a bigger TB and CAI, you'd need a trip back to the dyno to see what affect it had on your car and then send the chip to me along with the dyno sheet for changes. It's not an ideal situation but its the best you can do.

Having an EEC Tuner sounds like a better deal and perhaps it could work out to be better if you really know what you are doing with it but I've yet to see anyone actually capable of making changes with confidence. There-in lies the problem. Many people have them, extremely few know how to use them effectively. True, I could email you files which you upload yourself, but you get the point. It certainly won't save you money. Plus I've seen about 70% reliability with the EEC Tuner vs. 99% reliability with a chip.

Gotcha. Basically, I'm the guy that gets the the people who actually know what they are doing together, so the chip/reburn is perfect since I don't really actually do anything at all. :)

Any weekend except for Valentine's works for me too.

I should be moved into my house then, so I can put you up if no one else has room, that's not a problem.

Seuss
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but how would a stock SC benefit from a tune? Mine is an '89 with Eibach lowering springs and a Cervinis hood, engine is totally stock. The car has around 102k miles. I have considered putting high flow cats and better resonator on it, but nothing yet due to limited funds.

JStudrawa
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Called Higgins for a price. Guy is having Tommy get back to me, but they are not open on the weekend. I had him ask if special pricing will get him to open up or not.

Calling next...

Edit: Team Ford Marietta - $75 a car for 3 pulls each. Open Saturdays, the 4th/11th/25th work for them. They need a couple weeks notice.

the-big-e
01-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Edit: E, we may be able to time the doors with this too, to save shipping/hassle
I'll see what I can do to get them to you......

SCme
01-05-2006, 07:34 PM
If neither Higgins or Team Ford will work, look at Dyno4mance. They are about 1.5/2 hrs up I75 from Atlanta. I had the SC dynoed there last fall and great place. http://dyno4mance.com

XR7 Dave
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
If everyone can make work arrangements, we can do it on a Monday as well. Chances are the dyno will be favorable to that as Mondays are slow.

the-big-e
01-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Mondays work for me.....

Actually, anyday will work for me.....:D

Mike Puckett
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I can get a day off to do it almost any day. I highly recommend and would prefer Higgins because that is where I have been getting mine tuned and I want them to have a copy of my file. Tommy told me this morning that he had e-mailed pricing to Dave. My heads should be ready next week. I've got the 42# injectors and fuel pressure regulator installed in the fuel rail and the intake is cleaned up and ready. I'll order the fuel pressure gauge tonight from Jeg's and get the block cleaned and ready for reassembly this weekend. It'll probably be close to the end of the month till I'm ready.

JStudrawa
01-06-2006, 06:15 PM
FYI, Higgins wants $1200 for a Saturday.

I much prefer a Saturday due to having to take off a day of work to do a Monday, and also anyone driving in for this will have to scoot late Monday night or take Tuesday off too.

I'll go with group vote of course though.

I really want to see if I can make 200hp to the wheels in the rust bucket piece of ~~~~~ :)

XR7 Dave
01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Well there is no way we're paying $1200 for any day so we'll have to look at what else is available. Let me call them and see what our options are. If you could post the phone numbers here that would help. It's probably better if I call them anyway seeing as I've worked with many dyno shops before and I know what to expect.

David

JStudrawa
01-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Higgins Ford - 770.949.1234

Team Ford Marietta - 770.422.1100 (Open Saturdays, 3 pulls for $75)

sizemoremk
01-22-2006, 01:19 AM
What the status be on this :cool:

XR7 Dave
01-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Higgins wants $1000 for a weekday, not sure if that helps anyone out or not. We might be able to get them down to $100/hr if we wanted to do it on a Monday. On Saturday they have a minimum 1/2 day charge which would probably be enough time but do you guys want to split $600 between you?

I have been playing phone tag with Marietta Ford so I don't know what they can offer yet. I'll post when I do.

JStudrawa
01-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Higgins wants $1000 for a weekday, not sure if that helps anyone out or not. We might be able to get them down to $100/hr if we wanted to do it on a Monday. On Saturday they have a minimum 1/2 day charge which would probably be enough time but do you guys want to split $600 between you?

I have been playing phone tag with Marietta Ford so I don't know what they can offer yet. I'll post when I do.

Is Higgins charging that in addition to actual pulling, or is it a flat fee?

Mike Puckett
01-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Dave, I'd really rather you do it at Higgins, myself. Tommy is my usual tuner and I'd like for him to have my file on his dyno in case I need to retune at any point. I can take a day off just about anytime so it doesn't matter which day of the week it is for me. My engine is back together and I should have it running this weekend.

TbirdSC93
02-04-2006, 09:46 PM
bump bump bump

Mike Puckett
02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm up and running. I need a few more shakedown drives to be sure all the bugs are out. It feels really strong the little I've driven it. I'll be ready to tune in a couple of weeks.

XR7 Dave
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Nothing has changed on my end regarding this. I have not set a date or bought a plane ticket yet. Here is what I'm thinking.

If we go with Higgins, a Monday is going to be significantly cheaper than a Saturday. Can we do a Monday???? I'm looking at the morning of March 20. I would fly in on Sunday and out on Tuesday.

Will this work for people? We need 4 people minimum to make it fly. If this works, I'll be asking for a deposit from each of you.

Let me know what you guys think? Time is short and spring is making it shorter! :D

We can do a Saturday, but my flight price about doubles and the dyno is more expensive. Let me know what you guys think. I'm ready to book the flight.

David

sizemoremk
02-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I say Monday...

Mike Puckett
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm go for a Monday. I was about e-mail you because we need to get you here or I've got to schedule with Tommy to do it. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll drive it work and give it some excercise to make sure everything is good. Mar 18th is the last test & tune. The season starts the following Sat.

JStudrawa
02-23-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm go for a Monday. I was about e-mail you because we need to get you here or I've got to schedule with Tommy to do it. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll drive it work and give it some excercise to make sure everything is good. Mar 18th is the last test & tune. The season starts the following Sat.

I am good for that Monday too. Pricing though?

Let's not spend the entire day tuning Mike's car though, since I have chicks to pick up in my bad ride. K? Good.

Edit: Dave, you need a place to stay as well? I'll have a spare room, not sure who else can put you up or not.

sizemoremk
02-23-2006, 08:16 PM
I am again lost on how much for the dyno time and such. I seen some questions regarding one place over the other, but price is definately an issue for me, so if one place is significantly cheaper, I'd certainly preffer we go there.

I really can't afford messing with this SC anymore as it is. I'm in the doghouse with the ole lady over the SC already, so please think of everyones costs before we select a more expensive facility because one of us knows the guys there...

But maybe the prices are pretty close at all those facilities, but $75 for the 3 pulls seems like the place to go if the others want more...

Just my .02 :o

JStudrawa
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I am again lost on how much for the dyno time and such. I seen some questions regarding one place over the other, but price is definately an issue for me, so if one place is significantly cheaper, I'd certainly preffer we go there.

I really can't afford messing with this SC anymore as it is. I'm in the doghouse with the ole lady over the SC already, so please think of everyones costs before we select a more expensive facility because one of us knows the guys there...

But maybe the prices are pretty close at all those facilities, but $75 for the 3 pulls seems like the place to go if the others want more...

Just my .02 :o

No, I 100% concur. My comment was joking about tuning Mike's car for hours (since it's obviously in a LOT better shape than mine)... but Higgins better at least match another Dyno's pricing.

sizemoremk
02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I didn't "mean anything" by that, but I just was wanting to throw that out there because it would suck for everyone else to pay $100 more because one fo us preferred higgins. I just never seen any rate info for Higgins, so I was concerned it might cost alot more...

Mike Puckett
02-23-2006, 11:29 PM
I've got to get my lower engine cradle brace welded and line locks installed, too, so mine will have plenty of non-dyno time. Which is another reason I'd like to get it at Higgins. Plus, Tommy does my regular tuning, so I hope we can work someting out here.

XR7 Dave
02-23-2006, 11:36 PM
We are leaning towards Higgins, and that is what I have in mind. They are $1000/day (8-9 hrs) which breaks down to about $125/hr. I might be able to get something a little bit less but before I started bargaining with the guy I wanted to be ready to commit with a firm date.

$75 for 3 pulls is ok if you don't need more than that, but many times a tune will require more than 3 pulls. Keep in mind also that most places that do a 3 pull baseline for $75 expect you to be off the dyno in 45 minutes or less. I never was able to get in touch with the guy at Team Marietta, he was always out of the shop and never called me back. I can try again tomorrow.

The other place mentioned above in the thread charges $150/hr for straight dyno time so that isn't much help.

Josh, I will need a place to crash and a ride to and from the airport so I'll def. take you up on the offer!

XR7 Dave
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Mike, I'm not sure I'm 100% following you on that. I don't want you to feel obligated to have me tune your car. I can imagine that might put you in an awkward spot having me tune you car in his shop.

SCme
02-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Looks like you'll have this finally going towards the 'end of the tunnel'. I may take the Monday off from work and ride down to 'see' all the fun...:D No since in me even wanting to have any dyno/tune work, since I am now out of the performance arena.

Mike, I am sending you an email about Amsoil prices. I'm thinking of changing out the tranny and front/rear diff on the Expedition to synthetic fluid.

Mike Puckett
02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Although Tommy has done my tuning up to now and has done pretty well with it, you have more experience with SC's and well may do a better job. Sometimes Tommy gets them a bit leaner than I'm comfortable with. I don't think there would be a problem with Tommy on that if it was done in his shop. If I got it tuned elsewhere than his shop then he might have a problem with it if I wanted a retune or help with it later.

JStudrawa
02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
We are leaning towards Higgins, and that is what I have in mind. They are $1000/day (8-9 hrs) which breaks down to about $125/hr. I might be able to get something a little bit less but before I started bargaining with the guy I wanted to be ready to commit with a firm date.

$75 for 3 pulls is ok if you don't need more than that, but many times a tune will require more than 3 pulls. Keep in mind also that most places that do a 3 pull baseline for $75 expect you to be off the dyno in 45 minutes or less. I never was able to get in touch with the guy at Team Marietta, he was always out of the shop and never called me back. I can try again tomorrow.

The other place mentioned above in the thread charges $150/hr for straight dyno time so that isn't much help.

Josh, I will need a place to crash and a ride to and from the airport so I'll def. take you up on the offer!

Okay, let me get this straight. We are looking at a grand for the day, maybe less (so far divided by 3 people, making that $300+). Then a $300 chip/labor for Dave. On top of, taking a vacation day?

Guys, the car isn't even worth $800 Kelly Blue Book.

We need more people to split the cost. Let's get some confirmations.

Edit: We have so far...????

Josh
Mike
Sizemoremk

The rides and place to crash is no problem at all.

sizemoremk
02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Okay, let me get this straight. We are looking at a grand for the day, maybe less (so far divided by 3 people, making that $300+). Then a $300 chip/labor for Dave. On top of, taking a vacation day?

Guys, the car isn't even worth $800 Kelly Blue Book.

We need more people to split the cost. Let's get some confirmations.

Edit: We have so far...????

Josh
Mike
Sizemoremk

The rides and place to crash is no problem at all.

Well I've been under the impression that we were going to pay the 75ish for the three pulls, unless we needed more (individually)...

I will agree, we need more folks, I aint paying 300 just for the dyno, I sure hope I'm not ruining it for the group.... But I was planning on the $75-150 for the dyno. Then of course Dave's fees.

XR7 Dave
02-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry, I thought I was more clear on the dyno thing.

The cost for the dyno is $1000 for a whole day. If we need a whole day for 4 cars we all need to be shot. lol I have no intention of renting it for the whole day unless we have 8 people or more (we don't).

Seriously, if your car is an easy tune (most stockish cars are) plan on $400 total. If your car is a ~~~~ to tune, then count on $450. If your car needs major work on the dyno to get a tune, then most likely we pull it off and I'll help you out with some road tuning and we call it a day. I'm not going to waste people's money on the dyno.

The other thing we could do is I could tune everyone's car on the street and just go to the dyno for 1-2 pulls to maximize timing. It does take a lot longer to do it that way but I don't really mind either way. If I road tune cars I generally charge a little more because it takes about 2x as long.

I'm flexible.

sizemoremk
02-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Sorry, I thought I was more clear on the dyno thing.

The cost for the dyno is $1000 for a whole day. If we need a whole day for 4 cars we all need to be shot. lol I have no intention of renting it for the whole day unless we have 8 people or more (we don't).

Seriously, if your car is an easy tune (most stockish cars are) plan on $400 total. If your car is a ~~~~ to tune, then count on $450. If your car needs major work on the dyno to get a tune, then most likely we pull it off and I'll help you out with some road tuning and we call it a day. I'm not going to waste people's money on the dyno.

The other thing we could do is I could tune everyone's car on the street and just go to the dyno for 1-2 pulls to maximize timing. It does take a lot longer to do it that way but I don't really mind either way. If I road tune cars I generally charge a little more because it takes about 2x as long.

I'm flexible.

That is quite a thought, and fits me personally quite nicely. I already have the PLX wideband, and I don't really need the dynos WB. I'd say road tune mine, then I might dyno it once just to see what the curves look like. But I honestly don't care about dyno numbers, I'm more concerned with the big illuminated numbers at the end of the strip.

So I guess we're all good if we can assume 500 for the half day. I shouldn't take long, I plan to get some assistance getting close to the right tune before I show up.

JStudrawa
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
That is quite a thought, and fits me personally quite nicely. I already have the PLX wideband, and I don't really need the dynos WB. I'd say road tune mine, then I might dyno it once just to see what the curves look like. But I honestly don't care about dyno numbers, I'm more concerned with the big illuminated numbers at the end of the strip.

So I guess we're all good if we can assume 500 for the half day. I shouldn't take long, I plan to get some assistance getting close to the right tune before I show up.

Well, we still need at least 1 more for it to be profitable for Dave himself though.

Mine is stock. I can do either. I mean $400 for dyno is the same as $300 for chip/dave + $100 dyno or $325/$350 road tune + $75 for a few pulls.

I am cool with $400 max. Cuz if it's hard to tune, screw it. She's been running hard for 16 years untuned. She's pretty fine either way.

Edit: Though I DID get edged out by an automatic 2002-4 Maxima SE, so I am a bit irked.

sizemoremk
02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, we still need at least 1 more for it to be profitable for Dave himself though.

Mine is stock. I can do either. I mean $400 for dyno is the same as $300 for chip/dave + $100 dyno or $325/$350 road tune + $75 for a few pulls.

I am cool with $400 max. Cuz if it's hard to tune, screw it. She's been running hard for 16 years untuned. She's pretty fine either way.

Surely we can find one more guy???

And if it doens't screw up the groups pricing with the dyno, I'll pay more for a road tune, and just not participate in the dyno. Like I said I dont care about the dyno, I think a road tune will be more fitting anyways.

I say we try and get anther fella. I think we need to reffer this post here to a general discussion area...

I can do whatever, I just didn't want to pay $200-300 for the dyno alone, then another 150 for the tune.

If it works for Dave and everyone else, I could do 200-250 for road tune with no dyno.

Just throwing that out there...

Mike Puckett
02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Over on the TCCoA post it shows Dave being scheduled for Mar 20. Sorry to cause a problem, but this is too late for me. The last test and tune is Mar 18 and the season starts the following Sat. I need to be tuned before the 18th.

XR7 Dave
02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I was not aware of any posting on TCCOA?

If we moved it to Friday so that we could get Mike P done my airfare goes from $198 to $275. Normal rates are over $300.

I guess it's my fault, but it looks like things really aren't going all that well for this at the moment.

I guess maybe the best thing is for Mike P to go ahead and have his normal tuner do his car and then Mike S can send me some datalogs from his PLX and we can go from there. From what you guys have said it seems that most of the other cars are stock so tuning isn't the biggest priority at the moment.

Am I off base here?

JStudrawa
02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Over on the TCCoA post it shows Dave being scheduled for Mar 20. Sorry to cause a problem, but this is too late for me. The last test and tune is Mar 18 and the season starts the following Sat. I need to be tuned before the 18th.

Right, I was using Dave's date from a previous post...

"If we go with Higgins, a Monday is going to be significantly cheaper than a Saturday. Can we do a Monday???? I'm looking at the morning of March 20. I would fly in on Sunday and out on Tuesday."

It's all my doing on TCCoA, I was trying to drum up a few more folks.

I don't NEED a tune, really. Let's just can it til more people want/need.

sizemoremk
02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm gonna be HARD pressed to make it a week earlier than the 20th...

I don't know that I can commit to that.

The 20th was already going to be pushing it.

How imparative is this???

JStudrawa
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Mike, just cuz I am curious nothing more... if we tune you on the 20th, you're set for the season, no? Or is the 18th something special? I assumed you could skip the last text/tune since Dave was going to tune ya.

But I know jack about racing.

XR7 Dave
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I can't do any earlier times in March. The weekend of the 17-20th is it. I could come in to tune on Friday the 17th, but we would need committments from 4 people like today.

I think there is a better solution.

Mike S, send me some datalogs and we can achieve 95% tune via the internet.

Mike P, get the car tuned, and if you are not happy with the AF ratio, just upload the tuner file and send it to me. I can add whatever % fuel you'd like to see and recommend any changes to the file based on my experience. You can test my file against the one you have from there and see if it works any better. One thing you can be sure of, any file from me will be more conservative than what you already have so there is no danger in trying something like this.

It doesn't seem like it's really worth the expense for you guys to have me come down right now. I say save your money for the moment. :)

Mike Puckett
02-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok, well it's a shame our timing just won't work out. I guess it's always a problem when doing something like this via long distance. Tommy Higgins is a good tuner and I wouldn't hesitate to use him. He was trained by Jerry and generally does a pretty aggressive tune shooting for a mid 12 A/F instead of 12.0 like Jerry does. He's always gotten good HP numbers out of mine.
The tune that is in there now is with the MAF Optimizer installed. The 36# injectors had bit of trouble keeping up with that 85mm throttle body and the Optimizer was able to richen it up real nice. I'd just as soon not use the Optimizer so I can eliminate another variable. With the 42#'s in there now and the correct sample tube w/o the Optimizer it's running really good but I don't know what the A/F is at WOT during a pass. If I get it tuned after testing it'll invalidate the testing. I'm limited to minimum of 13.0 in Sportsman and 2 time trials on the 1st race day of the season is not enough to get it dialed in. The way it feels now, it could run mid 12's but I won't know for sure until I run it.

shadow357x2
02-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Give me a confirmed date and Ill come myself, like to meet a few of you anyway.

S

JStudrawa
02-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Give me a confirmed date and Ill come myself, like to meet a few of you anyway.

S

Shadow, next Saturday (March 11) is a meet in Atlanta if you're looking for a road trip and reason to meet some folks.

Mike Puckett
02-28-2006, 06:40 PM
I scheduled mine for a dyno tune at Higgins for Fri, Mar 10th if anyone else wants to come. If you want yours tuned also, call Higgins. Sorry we couldn't work something with Dave. I'll post the numbers that night.

JStudrawa
02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
I scheduled mine for a dyno tune at Higgins for Fri, Mar 10th if anyone else wants to come. If you want yours tuned also, call Higgins. Sorry we couldn't work something with Dave. I'll post the numbers that night.

I'm good now, since I bought a new clutch and Ripper. Spec 1 should handle my abus a tad better.

Good luck, Mike! Hoping for a 12.5!