colder outside = hotter engine?

trife86

hey guys well driving around in 90degree temps my gauge sits between the R and the M of NORM.
now at night time its been getting nice about 70degree's flat and my temp gauge sits between M and hot, never overheated but runs hotter this has been going on for about a week. does the IRCM take in consideration the outside temp before it kicks in the fans? and i know my fan work fine cause i hear it kick on and off

any ideas ? :confused:

Running the A/C?

If you are running the A/C on the hot days your cooling fan will run constantly until you reach about 45mph. If you don't have the A/C on when the outside temp is cooler, then the fan will only kick on when the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor triggers the IRCM. You would think that running the A/C would create more heat from the additional load, but my SC runs cooler in stop and go traffic with the A/C on because of the fan. It also seems to run a little warmer at highway speeds (no fan) even though I have the larger air deflector from a Pontiac Grand Am installed. Of course, all of this is just from observing the stock temp gauge on the instrument panel, and we know how accurate that POS is :rolleyes:

no a/c at all. on the highway i run very cool but it just seems 70degree temps and my car is running hotter than the 90degree days

Back