Upper Intercooler Tube....

tbirdsc357

I tried to get my upper IC tube off today and could not get the damn collar nut off that is connected to the supercharger top. I don't have the special tool to take the top off. Any tricks to get this off without the tool? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW I scratched the hell out of it trying to get it off.:mad:

Last edited:
Collar Nut

Hey there, Widowmaker (cool nickname, by the way)! I'll be doing the same thing to my car next weekend (hopefully) - I'm borrowing a spanner wrench to do it, though. It might be a hassle, but it's well worth the trouble to get the wrench. I'm planning to install the teflon I/C gaskets that tbird88 has for sale. But anyway, the only other ways I've heard of taking off the collar nut (I said nut :p ) is to either bang it with a piece of 2x4 and a hammer (wouldn't do it personally), or try one of those "strap" wrenches (might work, might not) that you'd buy at your local Ace hardware store. Personally, I'd recommend getting a hold of a spanner wrench to make sure you do the job right the first time. Super Coupe Performance has them for $60, or Harbor Freight Tools has a set for $15 here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41243I . I'll probably buy one next month. This way, you won't scratch the #$%@ out the S/C :p .

Last edited:
I just did my second one today. (about 6 hours ago) Did the same procedure twice and left no scars/mess but have a spanner wrench on order from Bill E.

I use a huge, wide/fat tipped straight screwdriver and smack smartly with a good sized ball peen hammer. If you are looking over the tube at the nut (if your not, your hood is off and your hanging through the opening that should contain a windshield) place the bar or driver on the right side and wack it solid. If your lined up right only one solid wack will pop it "loose". Then just work it with a couple taps till it spins by hand.

Rock
"bringin back an 89 auto found at junkyard and a 93 stick that should have been in the junkyard...and lovin it"

Back