Doing Some Bumper work....

Deep6

Hey all,

I've been busy trying to get the front bumper cover off of my 95. I've suceeded in getting to just about all of the bolts. The problem that I'm facing is the stupid factory Rivets that connect the bumper cover to the underbody air dam skin.

To provide a better description, these rivets have 3 "prongs" on the inside edge of the bumper cover with a center aluminum shaft. I've used plyers to remove the aluminum shaft from each little one, but they are a PITA to get out. Is there a special tool or technique for getting these things out? And are they reusable or do I need to get new ones?

Also, I got my fiberglass hood in from VFN. Any tips on putting this hood on to test fit it? Where can I get lighter weight hood struts? Anyone know how to reinforce the hood latch area with a metal plate? Also, I need a front T-bird emblem...

Thanks for any and all help. I hope that when everything is together to snap some pics....

I thought those rivet looking fasteners were only there to hold the air dam on. I had to drill mine out to install a bigger air dam.

David

Deep6 said:
I'm sure some of you have done bumper work before right?.....
:rolleyes: ~ "OH YEAH, but I think a '95 is different from my '93. I had to 'break', 'drill' and 'mangel' mine to get it off. Actually, it's always a good policy to use NEW fasteners anytime you have a choice! They are downright CHEAP compared to what they are holding on!!" ;) :D

So basically...

I need to rip the living snot out of them to get them out. I pulled and pulled and pulled and I got 1 out. 8 more to go.

Where can I get new ones?

Back