A/C lines

fastsc92

I'm going to try to change over my A/C to R-134a. I'm going to replace the accumulator..and flush out the rest of the system. I just need to know how to get the lines off the accumulator and the condensor. They look like they are crimped on there....how do i get them off. Also..anyone done their retrofit by themselves? How hard was it. I'm going to only replace the accumulator....is that enough...or should i do more?? Its getting hot around here...i need some cool air. one more thing....where is the orfice tube...how do i get it out?

Last edited:
the retro is fairly easy. change the nossels and put in your can of oil. then your 134. is your accumulator bad? What are you going to "flush " it out with? I haven't done it on my cat but i did it on my 2 lxs' and my f-150. hope you have a cool summer.. Bill

Last edited:
The R134a retrofit is very easy. You just buy the kit, and follow the instructions to get the combination conditioner/oil/refrigerant into the system. The ac fittings on Ford ac's are spring-lock fittings. You should be able to pick up the necessary spring-lock decouplers at any auto parts store for around $10 for a set. Just ask a counter person to help you.

Good luck!

Before you decide to go doing a home brewed R134A retrofit do read the post below entitled AC Problems, it may save you hundreds of dollars down the road. It has a few great links that are well worthwhile reading.

ya

I was reading those posts. I just want the retrofit to last. From what i've learned...i should drain the system of the old oil so it doesn't form an acid with the new stuff. I dont think the system leaks at all...still has a lot of pressure...just no cold air. If i just go the cheap way....how long should i expect it to last???

Go to Nor/Cal board. Find Hilldogs ID and email him. Bryan works with all forms of A/C for a living. I'm sure he would be glad to answer any of your questions.

Kurt Sr

Not only do you need to get the oil out, but you need to get all the moisture out if the system is opened. That means a vacum pump needs to be used.

I'd hook a the parts up then run over to a shop that does A/C work and pay them the $50 to suck it down and refill with your refrigerant.

ok..

i dont think its gunna be $50 though.....for a refill...and flush...it has to be way more that $50...thats why i was concerned and wanted to do it myself.

Bring your stuff from the retro kit. Then you don't need to buy their freon. You just need their labor to suck down the A/C system and stick your can of stuff in. Shouldn't be more than 45 minutes.

Back