fuel pressure question

darriantbird

I have not put a guage on it but.....here goes when I start the car it starts ruff unless I turn the key for a second and let the pump prime up then runs fine . Mind you I replaced the pump with a brand new oem and new filter.Could the pressure regular be going bad or is the fact that you replace the pulse regulator thing on the pump with the 2 inches of fuel line supplied have any thing to do with this happening ?

i got rid of my pulse regulator and i have no probs i guess check the fuel filter first . maybe regulator or leaky injector or bad pump if it runs ok im guessing bad pump cause i never had probs with my regulator or injectors

rlong said:
i got rid of my pulse regulator and i have no probs i guess check the fuel filter first . maybe regulator or leaky injector or bad pump if it runs ok im guessing bad pump cause i never had probs with my regulator or injectors

can you just delete the fpr entirely? and if so how is it done?

If you do not hold the key in the start position, how long will it run rough?

If only for a little while (0-7secs) it is most likely a leak in something (pump, filter, lines ect) between the feul tank and the injectors.
**If any of your O-rings are bad in the injectors, your fuel system may be depressurized after not runnning for any length of time(this will hold true for any leaks in the fuel system after the pump).

If for a long time (longer than 7 secs) it most likely has nothing to do with the components between the tank and the injectors.

It's probably a silly question, but.....do you smell gas around you car?
Have you ever tried placing a one way valve somewhere in your fuel line?

Have you tried pulling the codes, or are there none?
Also, what year SC is it?

Last edited:
91supacoop said:
If you do not hold the key in the start position, how long will it run rough?

If only for a little while (0-7secs) it is most likely a leak in something (pump, filter, lines ect) between the feul tank and the injectors.
**If any of your O-rings are bad in the injectors, your fuel system may be depressurized after not runnning for any length of time(this will hold true for any leaks in the fuel system after the pump).

If for a long time (longer than 7 secs) it most likely has nothing to do with the components between the tank and the injectors.

It's probably a silly question, but.....do you smell gas around you car?
Have you ever tried placing a one way valve somewhere in your fuel line?

Have you tried pulling the codes, or are there none?
Also, what year SC is it?
Its an 89 sc 90 motor though and the pump does not seem to run any longer than any other car I have own it primes right up runs ok if primed even runs ok if not primped just stutters for about 10 sec till pressure catches up.Your probaly right though about a leak somewhere ,never thought of a leaky o ring and I have not noticed any kind of gas smell around the car or underhood. It's gonna be one of those ongoing problems that I'll have to rought out. I plan on upgrading the injectors soon so maybe this will staighten things out. :cool:

Back