running rough

ZeroRain

Well i changed the plugs today after finding out they were saturated in gas. I just got the car running not lang ago by replacing the cam sensor and the DIS. My question is what will make my car run rough like this. What is does is that when i start it it will idle abound a grand then backfire a few times, also when i step on the throttle alittle it will jump then fall and repeat somemore. Also my speedo will bounce up to 50mph or so. Im really in need of help because i want to move this motor over to my 96.

p.s. the car is an 89 with about 112k on it

when my fuel pump went it idled super rich other than that i havent had much probs running rich , ive had issues with plugs and wires but it would just miss
mostly around 1000 rpm when i would gas it

rlong said:
when my fuel pump went it idled super rich other than that i havent had much probs running rich , ive had issues with plugs and wires but it would just miss
mostly around 1000 rpm when i would gas it
have you replaced the plug wires? if you did ,be calm, and check the firing order one more time !!! if it is ok have someone else check them! then check fuel pressure at the rail . do a search on this form to find the spec. for the pressures . once you know for sure everything is perfect ,clear the codes, and the memory. then get it running a few times and then run the error codes
these things can only be done patiently, but thoughly!! don't chase your tail. one thing at a time . good luck!! post the error codes when you get them.

well before i got it running it was sitting for over 6 months w/o a bat. i have replaced the wires and people have checked them for me. also the CEL isnt on so i dont think its pulling any codes but i could have it checked

Check the plug wires against this diagram. Pay special attention to the way they are arranged on the coil pack, because many of the service manuals are printed wrong.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

David

yea in my manual that is how its arranged and thats how i have it set up. i was told that running a low grade fuel will make it back fire. i put regular in it to get it running

It will make it knock under boost, but won't make it backfire. Something else is wrong. I would do a compression test before going any further.

David

so a compression test is next. if im not getting a good compression then that should be the problem and i can then redo the whole motor before i put her in my new car

Back