Help, Strange symptoms after suspension rebuild

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
Help, I have some strange things going on after my suspension rebuild.

Heres what is going on. 1st off I recently replaced all front end bushings, control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, end link bushings, strut rod bushings etc. 2nd I replaced rear control arm bushing upper and lower all around to include the IRS bushing as well. 3rd also replaced trans mount and bushings. This inlcuded a new set of eibach springs and tokico shocks illumina II shock.

Here the problem. I now have the ABS dash light on all the time as well as the traction assist off light is also on. I tried to toggle the traction assist switch, but the light stays on. Is there something I missed or what may have happened. I am lost on how to clear these problems up. All suspension is tight and getting ready for an alignment on Tuesday.

ABS Brakes/brake light and Traction assist switch worked just fine before the suspension rebuild, so I don't have a clue what might have gone wrong!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this fixed before the Shootout.

Smitty

Last edited:
I'm just kinda thinking off of the fly here, but maybe it is becuase you need an alignment. Your camber and/or caster is off which is sending some funky readings to you ARC or ABS sensors...like your really toe in and is putting some wierd wieght shift on the ARC sensors :confused: Because not only did you screw up the alignment, no doubt, by replacing the bushings, you also changed the center of gravity by putting lowering springs on.

...again, I'm just thinking of the fly here so don't shoot me if I'm way off on my thinking (It's late) :D

The best of luck,

Metalman

PS, Did you check to make sure your ABS and ARC electrical connections are properly connected?

You probably damaged/unplugged one of the rear ABS sensors when you replaced the diff bushings. A bad rear sensor would light the TC/ABS lights for sure.
It could be one of the front sensors also. You might want to check all of them to make sure they don't have a bunch of junk stuck to them.

That would be my guess too. I bet you damaged an ABS sensor or wire. If you can't find anything obvious, the you may have to spring about $35 for the basic Actron code reader they sell at WalMart for our OBD-1 Ford cars. It's the only reader I know that also reads ABS codes. You plug it into the red ABS terminal under the hood and pull the codes. You can look at previous posts on this subject and track down the code list or just post it here. Same thing happened to me and I found a damaged front sensor (code 31 or something like that).
Hope that helps,
Jim.

Will check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions, it does sound lieka ABS snesor, cause everything worked great till the rebuild. I would suspect the rear more because of the Taction assist off light being on as well, which I am guessing is tied in to the VMM and uses the ABC sensors for verification of wheel spin/traction.

Thanks again will check these out tonight and let you know what happened.

Smitty

no Luck

Ok Guys,
After cleaning all the ABS Sensors and making sure they are OK, tight and aligned correctly I still have the anti-lock light on as well as the traction assist off light on, on the dash switch.

Exactly where are thso ABS relays and what is the best way to run scan codes on the ABS system.

I understand that some OBD-I scanners don't read the ABS codes at all.

Any help would be great.

Smitty

Exactly where is this red connector under the hood? haven't ever noticed one before.

Smitty

Joisey Jim said:
That would be my guess too. I bet you damaged an ABS sensor or wire. If you can't find anything obvious, the you may have to spring about $35 for the basic Actron code reader they sell at WalMart for our OBD-1 Ford cars. It's the only reader I know that also reads ABS codes. You plug it into the red ABS terminal under the hood and pull the codes. You can look at previous posts on this subject and track down the code list or just post it here. Same thing happened to me and I found a damaged front sensor (code 31 or something like that).
Hope that helps,
Jim.

Smitty - the only code reader I know (besides going to the dealer) is the Actron one I already mentioned. It varies with model year but most of the ABS diagnostic ports are red in color and are located on the drivers side inner fender behind the battery.

OK Thanks I will look for them tonight after work and run to Wallyworld!! Yeah!!

Thanks

Joisey Jim said:
Smitty - the only code reader I know (besides going to the dealer) is the Actron one I already mentioned. It varies with model year but most of the ABS diagnostic ports are red in color and are located on the drivers side inner fender behind the battery.

Back